Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Short Stories
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
WHAT THE HECK WAS IN THAT BOX?

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Well... what's in the box?

Edit: Oh, heh, BrewersFuzz already posted that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
BrewersFuzz wrote:

Caulfield wrote:

That's for me to know. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
Aight, I got this. Here we go.

-------------------------

Everywhere he walks, familiarity lurks, ready to pounce on him in the austere, frosty, anything-but-hospitable landscape. The red feathers on his head whack him in the face, blinding him as he moves and shoves them away.

There were things he missed, yes, but they were overshadowed by the phantom that was his past, looming over him every moment, tapping his shoulder every time he tried to forget and whispering 'Hey, remember when you did that, punk?'

Imprudent, was he? Yes. Was it worth it? Seeing as his future was as blank as the white in front of him, no. But hey, he had to live with it now, almost like a doppelganger.

This wasn't low-grade agony either. This was the type of agony to make even tough souls stop and shiver and shut their eyes and howl into the blizzard 'Dear Arceus I've had enough justpleasemakeitgoaway!'

And yet he trudged on, epitomizing the phrase 'the walking dead' like it was his favorite pastime.

He looks to the left, sees the evergreen holding so many recollections, fond or otherwise, needles hanging on for dear life.

Not that they have far to fall; the pine was as dead as a soldier with a fresh lead bullet rooted in his head. The tree displaced snow in all directions, digging its own grave.

Oh, omens. Such fickle messengers.

Suddenly, a face, a black dot in the white void in front of him. Apropos, in a way.

The face's eyes blink, looking away as recognition flashes in its owner's irises and the rest of the body follows the countenance out of the white. Black and red make themselves distinctive on the figure, and he identifies the figure as someone he knows, someone who knows the shame he's endured.

And, at the same time, has no *(censored)* clue the shame he's endured, the anguish and self-torture he's put himself through.

"Long time no see," our pained protagonist says, wondering how anyone could hear that in this snowstorm. Their claws glide against each other, the resulting sound resembling that oh-so- excruciatingly-bitter sound of a sword unsheathing on a man destined to lose a duel, a man who knows when he's lost before it begins, that said sword is going to be synonymous with 'the end.'

This exchange is about as impartial as friends can get for an exchange. No need for niceties when both of them know that there's about to be a storm within a storm.

Question: Have you ever seen the rain on a sunny day?

Better question: Have you ever seen a rainbow after a snowstorm?

He looks back, the perfect monochrome behind him marred by black. Slowly the blizzard consumes it, but it's still there, probably looking at him as he goes and asking 'What happened?'

And not even he knows the answer, not completely.

His march continues, a brave one but without honor, and sure enough the uninhabitable gives way to the inhabited. Not that there was much of a difference and especially not now. Not for anyone in the community and sure as hell not for him.

He sees all the furtive faces, wanting to confirm that yes he's back and I wonder if he knows the shit he's in, but not wanting to get caught doing just that.

Too bad for them.

Every glance he catches has the same three ingredients: disgust, patronization, and empathy. The concoctions are all different, but they're there, and they're all watching, giving him those gazes as if he hadn't already given himself enough of those feelings. Not like he isn't self-aware…

He sees his old group of friends. They scowl at him, shooting crossbows with their expressions. He was obviously booted from the gang a while ago. His other party of buddies, however, shoot him low waves, almost as if they're somewhat ashamed to be his friend.

Up a cliff, hardly visible from yards away, he bounds to the plateau. Another makeshift home stares at him as he passes, and suddenly a figure bursts from it seemingly ready to eviscerate him.

Unless she planned on disemboweling him in a hug, it didn't happen.

"My Arceus, is it really you?" she asks, resting her head against his. Her claws dig into his back ever so slightly, but he ignores it as he strokes her calmly.

"Probably not for long," he sighs, remembering that yes, he loved her and yes, he left her and yes, he's guilty as hell and how can she ever forgive him.

"Don't think like that… I'm sure-"

He cuts her off, not to be mean but just to say "What, that everything will be fine and dandy? You know me. You know him."

Two misty, gloomy eyes ice his veins (further) with their gaze. He hated to be this way, but what he hated more was that it was the truth.

"Just… be careful," she pleads, as if any of this is in his control.

With a last squeeze they release each other, and she can only think to stand and watch him hike on to the last place he wants to be.

He's trudged into his father's midst about these things before, too many times to count, almost like a routine. Of course, nothing compares to this trip and its magnitude.

Recalling a line from a song some idiot human was blasting, he sighs.

'It's always cloudy except for when you look into the past'

He's sick of the omens, the little things that all shout at him that this won't end any way but badly, that everything is telling him 'You're *(censored)*, buddy' so apathetically it hurts him even more.

He walks into the cave where his father, the chief, dwells.

The sword unsheathes.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:05 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Heh, "My Arceus"

Heheh

Regardless, beautifully crafted (and worded), my friend.

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:05 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

...Damn.

stevenjackson39, you make me feel incredibly inferior.

That's a compliment. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:30 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
"He's a bit of a wild card isn't he?"

"I'll say. How many was it this time?"

"Damn near twenty, they haven't accounted for everyone yet."

The two men were standing in a long corridor, observing the young boy as he was trying to piece together a puzzle.

"How the hell can we contain this boy?" The man named Melvin asked.

"Keep the usual thing, lock him up for awhile, cool him down, try and make him better and then we brave ourselves for impact." The other man said.

"Here's the guy now." Said Melvin.

"Hello, doctors. I'm Dr. Simon Dodge." A tall ginger man said.

"Dr. Dodge, great to meat you! I'm Bryce Brooks and this is Melvin... Uhh. Something." Brooks was oubviously star struck.

"Yes well, why don't I have a look at him." Simon went into the room.

The room was carefully designed to look like a normal six year old's room. Toys, fun designs on the walls, lots of colors, and pictures of people from the boy's past.

"Simon Dodge." The little boy said.

"H-how do you know my name?!" Dodge replied.

"Oh, please. You're insulting my intelligence. You really think I don't realize what's going on?! You think I don't realize what I've done?! Start asking questions, the sooner you start, the sooner you can leave."

Dodge was astonished that a little boy could talk like this. He needed to keep his composure.
"I'm not going to talk. I'm going to listen." Simon said, calmly.

"Ah, now people are too scared to ask questions." The boy replied, "I'll humor you, then. What do you want to talk about?"

"Anything you want." Dodge said.

"Okay," the boy said, "Let's talk about cartoons."

Simon was taken aback, but pleased.

"You see, most cartoons they allow me to watch has a set good guy and bad guy. Black and white. Yin and yang. The good guy never falters and the bad guy is just evil. No reason. Let's compare this to my case. I'm too smart for my own good. Too many powers. I'll try to remember what it was like before. Give me a moment."

Dodge was less pleased.
He thought, "In the days of ancient Egypt, there was a boy ruler, everyone knows him. King Tut. His mummy is paraded around museums and Steve Martin sings songs about him. He died. Know one can know why. Everyone thinks it is a tragedy. But what if it wasn't? How the hell did Tut become emperor anyway? Someone had to take him out, for the betterment of society. Now I can do the same, I can take the little boy out and the poison will kick in an hour later, no one can trace it back to me!" Dodge started to take the syringe out of his pocket.

The boy began talking again,
"Ah, yes. Before, I was an average three year old. Before my shall I say, uniqueness kicked in. It took only two more years for the insanity to kick in. I loved my family. I truly did. I wish they could come back every moment of every day. However, I cannot wish people back. I can only take their lives with a simple thought. The telekinesis. You might think I was trying to kill them, but I was trying to protect them. From a monster. THAT WASN'T ACTUALLY THERE!"

Everything rumbled in the asylum.
"How do you think Dodge is doing in there?" Melvin asked.

"How the hell do you think?" Brooks replied. "Let's get him out."

"NO!" The boy bellowed, "I'm not finished yet!"

The door was locked and the keys in Melvin's hand suddenly melted.

"You see, Simon, the supposed monster was just a shadow! A figment of a child's wild imagination! An imagination that can cause anyone the most horrific pain even if it doesn't want to. I was gone not long after that. I had crossed the thin line known as sanity." The boy was finished speaking.

"Tha-That's terrible. I'm so sorry." Dodge dropped the syringe to the floor.

"You were trying to kill me?!" The boy was angered.

"No, not anymo-" And that was it. The Dodge was dead.

The so-called second coming if Tut's reign ran on.

The boy now switched to a coloring book. Childish. Innocent. Alone.
"'Tis a story that would bring me to tears, had I any left to shed." The boy whispered.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
detroittigers15 wrote:
BrewersFuzz wrote:

Caulfield wrote:

It's an embarrassing photo of SpongeBob at the Christmas party, didn't you already know that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:09 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Reds
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
don't forget to pull the piece of string :wink:

Best JPPY '11 Player
First JPPY '12 Player

Checkout my Honolulu Greats log also

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:46 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Excellent stories, the four of you.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Powerprosfan31 wrote:
Heh, "My Arceus"

Heheh

Regardless, beautifully crafted (and worded), my friend.

Haha, yeah, it's actually a Pokemon fic. They're all Weaviles. Had to have that continuity in there with that phrase. :wink:

And thank you. I'm really, really proud of how that turned out, especially since it was written on a plane heading back from China, which means a ton of jetlag and being tired from a looooooooooooong flight.

detroittigers15 wrote:
...Damn.

stevenjackson39, you make me feel incredibly inferior.

That's a compliment. ;)

Thanks! Glad you liked it~ <<< To Agent as well.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:44 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

They were Weaviles? Dayum, I didn't pick up on that. Makes it all the better

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Powerprosfan31 wrote:
They were Weaviles? Dayum, I didn't pick up on that. Makes it all the better

Yeah, it's subtle but possible to pick that up. References to red feathers on his head, claws, the characters being black and red, and, I suppose, the "ice his veins (further)" line. But I sure as heck didn't put an emphasis on it; it was the imagery that mattered, setting the mood, all of that.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:40 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I see, it's all clear now. Hunh, strange I didn't pick up on that...

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:04 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

In order to revive this thread without putting any effort into writing, I present to you a nonsensical piece written in sixth grade.

John and the Flying Pizza Slice

Times were hard for the people of Venice, Italy, and it was no different for John and his frail mother. One day, John’s mother sat down on the couch with a depressed sort of look on her face and told John that they must sell their TV in order to keep up with the expenses and lack of income.

John understood that it was necessary to give up wants in these times, and he offered to take the television set downtown for her and see how many Euros he could get for it. So John went on his way downtown, lugging the television set in his little red wagon.

Along the way a man wearing a brown coat and a matching hat greeted him as he passed. He asked where he was bringing the old television. John told him he was bringing it downtown to sell.

“Well, at the most you’ll get what, seventy, eighty euros for that old thing? What do you say to trading it for this magical pizza dough? Just bake it and in the morning you’ll have a pizza slice the size of a large door.”

Now John hadn’t planned on agreeing to this ridiculous offer, but his stomach growled and he thought of what it would be like to have a giant slice of pizza for breakfast. He licked his lips and handed over the television set, anxious for the next day.

When John opened the front door, his mom came rushing to find out how much he had gotten. When John showed her the pizza dough, however, she exclaimed, “Oh no, John. I cannot believe you got conned into such a deal. Now up to bed! And no supper for you young man!”

John dejectedly trudged upstairs with his head hung low. He dragged himself into bed and stared at the ceiling, wishing that he hadn’t disappointed his mother so. He could hear distant sighs from the kitchen, and eventually he drifted off into an uneasy sleep.

John awoke as his mother came into the room. He turned over and hid his face in the pillow, afraid that his mother might realize he was awake. He waited until he heard his mother closed the door, and waited another few minutes just to be sure that his mother was in her room. When he was sure that it was safe, John crept out to the hall and down the stairs.

John glanced around the kitchen, searching for any sign of the pizza dough. He noticed a trail of flour leading up to the cupboard, and he followed it.

There it was, in the cupboard, the pizza dough. John carefully lifted it out of the basket and slipped it into the oven. He turned the oven on high and went back upstairs to bed.
The next morning John woke up at the crack of dawn. He sprinted down the stairs to find an average sized pizza slice on the kitchen counter. John sighed with disappointment, and glumly sat down on a kitchen chair.

Then an amazing thing happened. Right before his eyes, the pizza slice grew bigger and bigger. In a few seconds it was the size of his head, and in half a minute it was as big as a microwave. John yelled for his mother.

“What? What is it?” she asked as she came running down the stairs. John grinned as his mother’s jaw dropped at the enlarging pizza slice.

John’s mom yelled for him to quickly take it outside. John obeyed and took the expanding pizza in his arms. He sprinted out to the middle part of the yard and placed it down on the soft grass. By then it was at least the size of a refrigerator. John gawked at the pizza slice, but still wasn’t sure what good it would be.

When the slice stopped getting larger at about the size of two doors put together, John thought to himself, Well, I might as well eat it, and he reached down to tear off a piece.

As John’s fingers brushed against the warm, fluffy crust, a peculiar thing happened. The pizza seemed to leap off the ground for a split second, as if it were sprouting legs. John peeked under the pizza, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. So, he grabbed at the crust once more.
This time the pizza took off like a rocket, stopping and hovering ten feet in the air. John was left hanging onto the fluffy crust for dear life, and he prayed that the weight of a nine-year old boy would not cause the soft crust to break off.

As the pizza sat in the air ten feet above the yard, John’s grip began to weaken. He knew that he had two choices, get on top of the pizza or fall to the ground.

John desperately tried to pull himself up, but all he managed was causing as light tear in the area between the crust and the rest of the pizza. John closed his eyes and mustered up all his strength before giving it another try.

He swung up just enough to get his leg onto the the giant pizza slice. John pulled himself the rest of the way up and collapsed on the pizza, gasping for breath.

How do I control this thing? John thought to himself. Uh, forward! He thought as hard as he could. The slice of pizza didn’t budge. John looked down to see his mom come rushing out of the house, yelling for him to get down this instant.

John explained that he wasn’t exactly in control. With his mother screaming in the background, John stood up on the giant pizza slice. His mother just about blew her head off she screamed so hard. John got his balance and leaned forward. The pizza slice nudged forward a few feet. John leaned harder, and the pizza shot forward like a bullet. John fell backwards with his elbows leaning against the fluffy dough of the crust, and he laughed. He was having a blast.

John got the slice of pizza to go upward, and he laughed with joy as the wind blew in his face. John flew higher and higher, until he saw a strange cloud in the distance. As he drew nearer, John could see that the cloud had a house sitting on top of it, and John went to explore.

John flew over the cloud, and landed by bending his knees. John stepped off the huge pizza, and ran closer to the house. It was only about ten feet high, and not nearly as wide as you would expect a house to be. Curious, John knocked on the door.

Angry grumbling came from inside. It sounded like a man, but the voice was much higher and squeakier, like a really small man.

John found out he was right, as a tiny man with pointy ears and a tall, golden hat answered the door.

John greeted him and asked if he could come inside. The elf kindly lead John inside to the living room and told him to have a seat on the couch.

The elf said he was going to make some tea, and he asked John if he would like some. John agreed and waited in the living room while the elf went off to the kitchen. THUMP! John heard a noise from the kitchen, and he jumped to his feet.

John yelled, asking the elf if he was all right, and the elf replied saying he was trapped in the closet.

Without thinking about how on earth the little elf could have trapped himself in a closet while making tea, John ran into the kitchen and bolted into the closet.

John heard a cackle, and the door slammed behind him. He could barely hear the words being murmured beyond the door, but heard something about “human trash” and “trying to steal things”.

For several days John was left in the closet, given scraps to eat by the elf and nothing for entertainment. Every day John awoke, hoping that it had been a dream, and sighed with disappointment when he realized he was still trapped.

One day, John woke up to find that food had not been slipped inside overnight. John called out, but there was no reply.

I think he’s gone, John said to himself, This may be a good time to try and pick the lock. So John stuck his fingernail into the little keyhole and got to work.
After what seemed like hours to John, he heard a click. John’s heart lifted. He took a deep breath and slowly turned the doorknob.

The door creaked open and John cheered with delight. He glanced around. The elf was nowhere in to be seen, so John made for the front door.

As he drew nearer to the door, John noticed several large bags of gold.

This guy’s loaded! It won’t hurt him if I take just a little, John thought. He crept over to the bags and snatched one. It was surprisingly light, as if an enchantment had been placed upon it to make it nearly weightless.

John ran out the door and across the cloud, somewhat surprised to see the slice of pizza still there. He hopped on with the bag of gold over his shoulder and took off.

When John’s mother saw John open the front door, she squealed with delight. She ran over to John and hugged him and told him how worried she had been. She almost passed out when he showed her the bag of gold.

Eventually, however, the gold ran out, and John and his mother had nothing more to live on. So once again, John stepped on his pizza slice and flew to the sky.

John “parked” the pizza and ran up to the front door of the small house once more. He surprisingly found the door unlocked and peered inside.

John saw the little elf with the gold hat standing in front of a machine that looked a lot like a copier, except with a small pipe at the top and a large indent on the side.

The elf quietly spoke to himself as he poured a bucket of flour into the pipe. Minutes later, a huge cube of gold planted itself in the indent.

John stared on with awe, this machine was utterly amazing. The elf put the gold block under the coffee table and went to sleep on the couch.

John quietly crept inside and attempted to pick up the machine. Just as the bag of gold, the machine seemed to be altered to be as light as a feather.

John balanced the machine in his arms and carried it back to the pizza slice. He flew back home, his mouth grinning with pride.

John’s mother was astonished, and soon they were living like royalty, buying things as they pleased and moving into a much bigger house.

As John lay in his bed, he began to get greedy. He thought of the elf and his golden hat. People will admire me if I wear a gold hat around town, John thought, I want it.
In the middle of the night John crept outside into their new, large backyard. He stepped onto the pizza slice and took off like a shot. It was like riding a bike. Once you learned how, you never forgot.

He landed on the cloud and sprinted over to the house. He again found the door unlocked. Doesn’t this guy know how to lock a door? John thought to himself. He steadily set his foot on the wood floor of the front hallway and peeked inside. The golden hat was there, sitting on the coffee table. John tiptoed over to the sitting area as quietly as possible. A floorboard creaked and John heard the elf shouting from upstairs. John grabbed the hat and ran.

John bolted out the door, not bothering to close it. Close behind him was the elf, who was surprisingly fast for someone with such short legs. The elf yelled and wagged his fist as he chased John, who reached the pizza slice with the elf thirty feet behind him.

John tripped over the edge of the pizza and fell forward. He scrambled to get up, but slipped again on the sauce. Just as John was taking off, the elf dove and caught the edge of the crust.

The elf scolded John as he swerved this way and that, trying to get the elf to slip off.

Geez, John thought, you’d think a guy who can run fifteen miles an hour with two foot tall legs and can hang on to a giant slice of pizza by the crust while it’s zipping all over the place would be able to figure out how to lock a door.

The elf was just about to climb up, and John panicked. Then he saw the tear he had made during his first trip on the pizza slice and got an idea.

John kneeled down and took as big of a bite as he could, hoping this would cause the crust to peel off. John held his breath and nothing happened. The elf swung his other hand around, and the crust tore off, falling to the ground and taking the nasty little elf with it.

John returned to his mother with the golden hat, and soon a legend grew. Many generations told of the boy with the golden hat who strutted through town every day, passing out gold to everyone he passed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next