All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regarding posting:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Indians
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
As I've visited this site after some absence, I've noticed a trend that has regrown: double posting, and weightless posts.
Not to mini-mod, but I think we can all say that weightless posts are, well, actually not weightless, that is on terms of bandwidth. If you're going to respond to a guide saying "OMG thx u very much" there isn't much a point of it. Course in the free-for-all forums, it is free-for-all, so I guess it should be ok there.

As for double posting...I notice we have an edit button, do we not?
Just edit your post if you have something else to say, and no one else has replied.

Generally, I think this forum could do with a little less spam.

Quote:
More than a handful of users have approached the mods via PMs or the Report system concerning "dead weight posts." With the number of "reported posts" going up quickly in the past few days, I feel it's time to step in and actually start moderating. You guys have been pretty good on keeping yourselves in check for the most part.

Now I'm all for people posting, but when your entire post consist of "I dunno" or "who cares?" you're wasting people's time in finding good information within the forum system and wasting server time and resources. It's not about quantity, but QUALITY of your posts, folks (although a number of you think otherwise). Let's get this back to a top-notch forum with 95% information and 5% relaxation and fun.

Trolling the forum for responses to respond to must be severely limited, seeing 10 posts between 2 users in the course of 5 minutes means that you need to take your conversation elsewhere. This is what AIM, MSN, Yahoo! and even ICQ are for. Keep chatting to their channels and out of the bulletin board. Using AIM, MSN Live, and Yahoo! Messenger are free to download and use, so there should be no reason to NOT use them (yes, universities don't block the ports that much... how would you get your homework/projects done?). If your school blocks the IM programs, use Meebo to sign into your IM accounts through a web proxy.

Making comments that have little to no value to the original poster or a response need to be stopped. In addition, if you can't say something nice, don't say it. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is allowed, but downright sarcasm and flaming is unacceptable and hurts the community.

Finally, about player/franchise logs, just because your entries aren't being commented on, they more than likely are just being viewed. With the sheer number of them on this site alone, it is impossible to actually read them all and still have time left in the day, people pick and chose to follow their favorites. If you feel your log isn't getting the attention you desire, either change your writing style or try something else.

DS's system upgrade is nearing completion and the shoutbox will be ready by then (we don't want to make any major additions until after we re-establish the new server). Once the Shoutbox is up, you can chat all you want on the portal page. Until then, please use other services to make your comments and chat.

Post subject: Re: Regarding posting:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
yeah, i've noticed that a lot lately.
the only place that double posting should really be accepted is in logs (and bumping topics, if you must), and even then it shouldn't be used too much (although i hate when people follow but don't post...)

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and DS
stevenjackson39 wrote:
(although i hate when people follow but don't post...)

Same here
But I think that some people dont like using edit because when you do edit instead of a new post, it doesn't say you've made a new post which could get confusing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:08 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Indians
You can solve that; I'll show you an example right here.

EDIT: See?