Post subject: Credit idea for buying players
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:33 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Spinning this off into its own thread.

"IF" a credit system is used for buying players, granting of course that it isn't a given, what do you guys think of this type of pricing system?

I tried to come up with a way to grade players based not only on the ability scores, but also on blue/green/red abilities. Feel free to make suggestions/improvements! By the way, I'm thinking that even if we don't end up with a buying system for players, this can help us in giving a somewhat standard grade/evaluation to a player.

So starting off we assign points somewhat like a school GPA and say G = 1, F = 2, E = 3, D = 4, C = 5, B = 6, and A = 7. That takes care of the basic abilities that have letter grades. With position players that leaves TRJ to deal with, and TOP SPD for pitchers. For TRJ I'm thinking 1 is either G or F since normal starting stats are G in CON and G or F in PWR. I'm fine with G. Then TRJ 2 = C (average), 3 = B, and 4 = A. For TOP SPD, I'd call 80 an F and anything below that a G. 84 = E, 87 = D, 90 = C, 93 = B, and 96+ = A.

I don't have a good idea yet for blue/green/red abilities. Obviously some abilities cost more than others, and some are more rare/difficult to obtain than others. I think it was Odawali, The-F, J-Gao, and maybe one or two others that were discussing a sort of tier system for how useful abilities are (I can't seem to find which thread it was in at the moment)? Maybe rare/difficult/costly abilities like Intimidator and a handful of others get an A rating, and then so on from there.

So for an example, a position player with a 3 TRJ (calling that a B), A CON, B PWR, C RUN SPD, C ARM STR, D FLD, and C E Res would have an average grade of C (38 total points/7 categories = 5.43 average score). You'd have to factor in the blue/green/red abilities as well, but the composite score would indicate the grade and therefore what the player costs.

"D" Player - 100 credits (at current rates = 20 posts if all you do is reply to existing threads, a bit less if you create threads occasionally)
"C" Player - 250 credits (50 reply posts at current rates)
"B" Player - 500 credits (100 posts)
"A" Player - 1000 credits (200 posts)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:07 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
I was thinking of a similar thing, but with a more flexible system, instead of tiering on stats/abilities, why not just make that the sole source of the cost?

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Going with the idea - this is how I would tier the pitcher abilities: (based on rarity/usefulness)

Pitchers:
Tier 1 -
Intimidator
Tier 2 -
Gyroball
Tier 3 -
Gd Delivery
Dr. K
Tier 4 -
Lucky
Safe Pitch
Tier 5 -
Battler
Strong Finisher
Tier 6 -
Fastball Life 4
Spin 4
Gd Low Pitch
Groundball P
Star
Tier 7 -
Recovery 4
Consistency 4
Poise 4
w/RISP 4
VS LH Batter 4
Pokerface
Durability 4
Tier 8 -
Gd Reflexes
Gd Pickoff
Release 4
Gd Pace
Power/Breaking Ball P

I don't know how to rank the negative abilities as they are even harder to get.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:24 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Explaining the rankings:

1 - Ability requires work throughout most of the entire run.
2 - Ability can only be acquired through one method.
3 - Ability main acquisition is through SoP or equipment.
4 - Ability can only be acquired in a few fairly rare cases, other than SoP.
5 - Ability requires lots of points, and is rarely acquired through random events - meaning that gambling is usually the way to go.
6 - Ability can be acquired in a variety of ways, but requires a lot of points to gamble on (with a reasonable %). Star is there because, while it's way of acquiring are limited, so are its uses, and the events that produce provide a near 100% chance.
7 - Decent useful abilities - but fairly easy to acquire.
8 - Even easier to acquire, not as useful.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I like the idea of tiering the skills and players but at the same time I think there needs to be a consensus between those that create the players, because they're ultimately responsible for how and when the creations are produced.

I also think standards for credit prices might need to be a bit lower as there aren't that many people who have 100-200 posts, and there are plenty of good players to go around. If we go too heavy on the credit cost in my opinion it will just encourage users to spam the forum or wiki.

Here's just a preliminary hitting tier, feel free to change it in any way.

Tier 1 - Ability requires work throughout most of the entire run.
Intimidator
Tier 2 - Ability can only be acquired through SoH
Refined
BL Hitter(Shouldn't be this high other than only from SoH)
Tier 3 - Ability requires lots of points or gained through equipment
Contact Hitter
Power Hitter
Spray Hitter
Tier 4 - Ability requires lost of points so they are mostly gambled for
Grt Infield Hitter
Bunt Master
Tier 5 - Ability can only be acquired in a few rare cases, other than SoH
Rally Hitter
Good B2B Hitter
Walk-Off Hitter(Not very useful)
Tier 6 - Ability can be acquired in a variety of ways
Push Hitter
Pull Hitter
Tier 7 - Ability can be acquired in a variety of ways and are fairly useful
Hot Hitter
Firstball Hitter
Clutch Hit
VS Lefty
Tough Out
Gd Infield Hitter
Table Setter
Gd Bunt
Consistency 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:36 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I would consider a D player something that can be put together quickly without save/ reload. Any injuries stay. These players usually are similar to what gets drafted in Season Mode.
100 Points

A C player would be a player with minimal save reload to avoid injuries and the like, but can usually be created quickly. Most of these players will have mostly C's and D's for skill ratings with maybe two or three abilities.
250 Points

A B player would be a player with a good amount of save reload. This player probably takes 2 to 4 hours to create depending. Most of these players will have B's for abilities, with some A's, and a fair amount of abilities. These players would be similar to most good to star players in Season Mode.
500 Points

An A player would be some that has extensive save/ reload. This player will take some time to create. This player will have mostly A skills and a good number of abilities, and would be considered and All Star caliber player in Season Mode.
1000 Points

I will also add A+, for players like Ryan Soohoo ect. These players are pretty much maxed out in most if not all stats and would arguably be considered the best player of all time in Season Mode.
2000 Points

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Indians
Wait a sec. Buying players? I'm not so sure I like that idea. Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:41 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Before this goes anywhere, let's make sure this is clear:

It's not for getting passwords for other people to post. It's only if you're going to request that someone else makes a player for you.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:58 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
You could take it one step further and lock them all... but I'm sure we'd get quite a bit of irritation from the masses, unless we made it easier to get points.

I'm thinking at this point, if we go to a shop setup, the wiki will not hold any custom players.

Earn points:
  • Posting: 5 points per post, more if thread starter. Limit of X per 24 hour period.
  • Submitting a player: 20-1000 points, depending on quality of player. Quality is defined by the player's function. Limit of posting Y players per week (mods have to do these by hand).
  • Making a minor contribution to wiki:15 points. These would also be rewarded out by hand.
  • Making a major contribution to wiki:500 points. These would also be rewarded out by hand.
Minor contributions:
  • Creating a page for an minor item, minor character.
  • Adding new/correct values/abilities for items in game.
  • Adding new events/items for gaining abilities.
  • Screenshots of events, characters.
Major contributions:
  • Creating page on a major topic, like the Dad's pitching adjustments
  • Creating templates/helper pages to simplify and unify the look of items/events/characters.
  • Showing formulas/tables of stat cost growth

Edit: typos...

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Last edited by MaxDSterling on Sun May 11, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:38 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
You guys figure out the points system, I'll see what we can do on the software front to make it all happen.

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:21 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I don't like the idea of restricting access to players that are posted, and I'm not sure I understand the benefit of restricting player requests. I know increased participation is one goal in mind, but we should also make sure participation is constructive. This forum is a way to provide MLBPP players a community to seek help and to help others. Obviously, some need more help than others and some can contribute more than others. I personally don't mind the 500 members that don't contribute just soaking up the sun while they're here; it would be silly to force someone to say something when they have nothing constructive to say or entice them to make a "contribution" that is more detrimental to the wiki then it is helpful.

As for requesting a player to be made, I think the situation will resolve itself. The demand for players seems to greatly outweigh the supply of people to make them and I see the majority of the requests going unfulfilled. Eventually most of them will have to take the information provided here and make their own attempts at the player they want. Success mode does not take a lot of skill. If you want a player to turn out a specific way you just have to have the patience to make them; I know its not exhaustive, but all the know-how is on this forum.

If we leave it alone the PW request thread may get a little congested, but I think that would be better then having all the threads flooded with posts that don't contribute to the forum in any way.

Not trying to sound pushy guys, just something to think about... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:40 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Of course any ability will have to be based on how hard it is to get in success mode first and then on its usefulness.
Tier 1-intimidator
Tier 2-gyroball
Tier 3-gd delivery, dr. k, lucky(safe pitch IMO is useless, but it is hard to get)
The rest are obtainable by buying them for points except for star so I'll rank them based on how useful they are.
Tier 4-risp 4, fastball life 4, spin 4, poise 4, groundball pitcher
Tier 5-consistency 4, gd low pitch, recovery 4, vs lh batter 4,
Tier 6- strong finisher, battler, pokerface, gd reflexes
Tier 7-gd pickoff, release 4, durability 4,
Tier 8-gd pace, power/breaking P

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:30 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I would rank Battler higher because, not only is it fairly useful, but it nigh impossible to acquire through a random event, and the mentality points it costs is quite overwhelming, especially if not acquired early, where it will take away the points piled up for control and breaking pitches.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:51 am 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
mrsims31 wrote:
I don't like the idea of restricting access to players that are posted, and I'm not sure I understand the benefit of restricting player requests. I know increased participation is one goal in mind, but we should also make sure participation is constructive. This forum is a way to provide MLBPP players a community to seek help and to help others. Obviously, some need more help than others and some can contribute more than others. I personally don't mind the 500 members that don't contribute just soaking up the sun while they're here; it would be silly to force someone to say something when they have nothing constructive to say or entice them to make a "contribution" that is more detrimental to the wiki then it is helpful.

As for requesting a player to be made, I think the situation will resolve itself. The demand for players seems to greatly outweigh the supply of people to make them and I see the majority of the requests going unfulfilled. Eventually most of them will have to take the information provided here and make their own attempts at the player they want. Success mode does not take a lot of skill. If you want a player to turn out a specific way you just have to have the patience to make them; I know its not exhaustive, but all the know-how is on this forum.

If we leave it alone the PW request thread may get a little congested, but I think that would be better then having all the threads flooded with posts that don't contribute to the forum in any way.

Not trying to sound pushy guys, just something to think about... :wink:

I agree 100% with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:13 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
I only like making "Super" players.
But......

If someone was giving me a few points or something I would probably think about doing some average characters for them.
(Just another point to consider)

I just don't know how this credit thing is going to work. But you guys are smart, you'll figure it out.