All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Success help?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:44 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Sony PS2
These were some general questions I had about Success that I couldn't find via search. This is definitely tl;dr, but hopefully I can get some help!

Today I beat Success mode for the first time, but even with restarting from save points, my stats and such were pretty miserable.

So I would like to start Success w/ a Shortstop with some more knowledge!

-So first off, if I was making a SS, what exactly should I focus on practicing? I am hoping to bring this player to MLB Life, so with categories like WL, Batting, Running, etc., do I focus in certain ones or do I try to balance all of them?

-Also, since you never really get to play fielding, do I just ignore Fielding stats, or should I focus on both batting and fielding? Or, what are the good attributes/abilities to get in general?

-I read somewhere that you should never spend points on abilities, because you can attain them through gambling? Can someone explain that just a bit further to me?

-Is there a thread showing ALL the possible important things that come with Success? I skipped a lot of training with Sittch and Frank, but I found out that Sittch gives you certain items and such. If I was trying to make the best player I can, are there certain things that are recommended I do outside of Practice (such as doing the Sittch sidequests) that would be beneficial?

-If I pick a random name for my character, will the announcers be able to say it?

-Are there any differences between fielders as far as gameplay goes? I know that if you're a pitcher, you play as a pitcher whereas fielders will be out there to hit.

Thanks for taking time to read this if you did and thanks for any help I can get!

Post subject: Re: Some Success help?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Phew, that's alot of questions :lol:.

- In reality, SS should have great IF fielding, gold glove, and pivot. However, as you said, you don't really field. If you want, you can forgo the fielding and arm strength (get it at least C though). Focus everything else on Cotact. If you want a HR hitter, then focus on Power and Traj also. Here's a sample of my ending Success CF:
Traj 4
Pwr A 198
Contact A 15
Run A 15
Field: C 10
Arm: C 10

- If you S/L (Save and Load), then try for gambler's ring to get the attributes. Gambler's ring gives you a % chance to get the attribute even though you don't have enough points for it, though you need to have at least SOME of the point. The % chance is higher if you have more points. Gambler's ring works like gambler's ticket, but you can reuse the ring until it randomly breaks. S/L basically means you try to get the attribute, then quit and reload if you don't get it. Repeat until you do.

- Check the Abilities thread stickied on the top for how to get certain abilities.

- Announcers will say the name you choose in the "Special" when choosing a name. By the way, random will ALWAYS use an existing player name.

- There's really no change in fielders if you play My Life where you don't get to field at all. You might want to choose a position that has a weak position player for your team. That's one of the reasons I chose CF for Yankees.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Haha! I warned you it was a tl;dr!

Thanks a lot for your response. I was wondering, what if I didn't put ANY points into Power, and maxed out my other stats. By the time I reach MLB Life, I can focus ONLY on Power. Wouldn't that work out fine too?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

YCa wrote:

Thanks a lot for your response. I was wondering, what if I didn't put ANY points into Power, and maxed out my other stats. By the time I reach MLB Life, I can focus ONLY on Power. Wouldn't that work out fine too?

Power is a hard stat to raise. You gain a very small amount from practicing alone. You also gain a very very small amount from hitting a homerun, but it would be hard if you don't have power to start with. In one year, you'd be lucky to raise the power stat by 1 or 1.5. If you start out in the 90s or low 100s, might take you 17 years to get to 200 power.

Well, I exaggerate about 17 years, since each year you can get equipment upgrades which makes your practices gain more. It might only take 15.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

How did you get such an impressive character? When I last finished my character, all my stats were like 'D's'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

YCa wrote:
How did you get such an impressive character? When I last finished my character, all my stats were like 'D's'.

Having Genius and Gd Sense help. Heck, having only Gd Sense helps alot. Oh, and going through success 6-7 times already also help as you know exactly what to choose and who to look out for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Rockies
Console '07: Sony PS2
kilmar wrote:
YCa wrote:

Power is a hard stat to raise. You gain a very small amount from practicing alone. You also gain a very very small amount from hitting a homerun, but it would be hard if you don't have power to start with. In one year, you'd be lucky to raise the power stat by 1 or 1.5. If you start out in the 90s or low 100s, might take you 17 years to get to 200 power.

Well, I exaggerate about 17 years, since each year you can get equipment upgrades which makes your practices gain more. It might only take 15.

True, but something interesting I found while trying MLB Life is that the golf hobby is also a good way of helping with raising the power stat (it also helps with contact, but if you're planning on maxing that one out, not exactly a problem, is it?), doing so at a faster rate than the alone practice and home runs.

Probably not much help, but I thought I'd point it out. So maybe...seven to ten years rather than fifteen? XD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:35 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Lightning Strike wrote:
True, but something interesting I found while trying MLB Life is that the golf hobby is also a good way of helping with raising the power stat (it also helps with contact, but if you're planning on maxing that one out, not exactly a problem, is it?), doing so at a faster rate than the alone practice and home runs.

Probably not much help, but I thought I'd point it out. So maybe...seven to ten years rather than fifteen? XD

Lol, it takes about 6 years to max out golfing, so I'd say 10-12 years :P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
But I maxed it out in 8 months.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Rockies
Console '07: Sony PS2
lanceberkman wrote:
But I maxed it out in 8 months.

A year and a half for me, but I did max it out as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:38 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
If your team stinks or you get traded to a cellar team, during the playoffs you can push power every day in MLB Life mode, I got about 4+ power pts just in those 3 weeks.

If you want power, you MUST get it in Success mode. I've raised my contact from D->B in less than a year in MLB life.

Any stat that goes to 255 will always take longer.

There are waaaay too many events in success mode right now to set them all up. It took the entire year just to accumulate about 90% of them from the 2007 year (there are a number of "bad events" that everyone avoids that haven't been seen yet).

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:33 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Athletics
some disagreement here... i raised my power from 197 to 211 in two seasons... well i think it is mainly because i almost get 1 HR per game so i get a raise after every game

its taken the same amount of time for me to raise my fielding by 2, since my manager DHs me so often

so i say balance it out so u can get a bonus after every game on each stat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:05 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

wase wrote:
some disagreement here... i raised my power from 197 to 211 in two seasons... well i think it is mainly because i almost get 1 HR per game so i get a raise after every game

its taken the same amount of time for me to raise my fielding by 2, since my manager DHs me so often

so i say balance it out so u can get a bonus after every game on each stat

No disagreement here. If you start with high power, it will be much easier to raise power, obviously because you will be hitting bombs faster than A-Rod and Bonds together.

If you start with 97 Power, good luck. If you get 10 HRs a season, count yourself lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
right, atm I have a guy with E power and it goes up slower than my other guy with C power.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Can you guys explain the difference between training in Fielding, Running, and Weight Training (aside from the obvious)?

When I practice, I tend to just "randomly" pick a category. Like if a coach is there, I'll just go practice at that category. Sometimes this will end up being me practicing in Weight Training multiple times a month and neglecting the others. Is there a consensus as far as a "training guide" that I should try to stick to?

Basically my first player failed in MLB Life cause his stats were ridiculously low, so I want to try my best to do it the right way this time around :).

And what would be just "average" stats all around? I don't want a player that I bring to Life that will just DESTROY everyone, I want someone who I can further work with and have fun with. But the last guy I had was at D's in everything including around a 95 in Power, and I still got 2 HR in one game.

Would C's in everything sans attaining an A in Power be a good goal?