Post subject: Pitcher Guide - avoiding unwanted abilities
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Guide for making good pitchers in Success Mode while avoiding Gd Low Pitch, Vs Lefty 4, Groundball P, etc.

Overview: The goal is to make the first playable game against AEGIS, and to have a minimum of 80 MPH, 100 CTRL, low STAM (40ish), and a Lvl 3 Breaking Ball at that time. This combination will result in a perfect game against Aegis and a load of Scout of points without the threat of picking up an unwanted ability. Getting there will require a bit of patience, but the reward is fast play from that point on and NO unwanted abilities. Here are the necessary steps:

1) START:
> Create you pitcher. Preferably, he starts with decent MPH (78+ for RH, 76+ for LH), CTRL (90ish) and low STAM (40ish). Bonus if he has a Breaking Ball you want. SAVE if he has no ailments (Laziness/Toothache/Insomnia).
>>> My RH starting pitcher, Al Green, has 78 MPH, 96 CTRL, 39 STAM and no Breaking Ball.

2) Feb. Wk 1:
> Progress the schedule to the first playable game to find out if it is against AEGIS. If so, exit without saving, reload, and continue to step 3. If not, repeat step 1 until you know your first game is against AEGIS.

3) Feb. Wk 1:
> Progress the schedule twice so you have three turns for Wk 3.

4) Feb. Wk 3:
> Visit Frank at the Lookout and do the Upper Body workout. Reload/save if you want/don’t want Recovery 4 or Gd Small Ball.
> Visit Frank again and choose “Are you treating?” Reload/save if you want/don’t want Gd Pickoff.
> Visit Frank again for another Upper Body workout. Reload/save if you want/don’t want Recovery 4 or Gd Small Ball. SAVE.
>>> Al Green = Recovery 4.

5) Feb. Wk 4:
> Progress the schedule to Mar. Wk 1 and SAVE if/when there is a coach icon on a non-fielding Practice for Wk 1.

6) Mar. Wk 1:
> Practice (non-fielding), reload for a 4 or 5 card result. Scout points are a bonus. SAVE.
>>> Al Green = Accuracy Practice, 5 cards.
> Progress the schedule. You can choose to Practice instead, but that leaves you with only one turn for Wk 3 (Sittch). You need a total of 3 visits to Sittch before the first playable game to get a Perfect Shot/Dr. K/Aim Shot Glove (CTRL boost), so if you do Practice, plan accordingly.
NOTE: Random Events (RE) begin from this point and getting the Gambler’s Ring before the first playable game is imperative, the sooner the better. The following week (after Mar. Wk 2) is the best time to reload for Jaw.
NOTE: Bison arrives. Choose “Not interested” for Discount Coupon.
>>> Al Green = RE, Frank, “Broast Ball.” Bison, Discount Coupon.

7) Mar. Wk 2:
> Visit Sittch at the Pond for “Alter Ego Trick.” SAVE after desired result.
> Visit Sittch again. Choose “Check the tree” and reload if you want Gd Sense or the Jaw RE (best time to get Jaw). SAVE.
>>> Al Green = RE, Jaw arrives.

'8) Mar. Wk 3:
> Option 1: Visit Jaw at the Street to find the Dog > Surprise Bag. SAVE. Reload for Gambler’s Ring. SAVE.
> Boost. The goal for boosting is a Lvl 3 Breaking Ball, minimum, and as much MPH and CTRL as you can add prior to the first playable game, favoring MPH over CTRL. Do not boost STAM and do not add a second Breaking Ball unless you can boost it to Lvl 3 as well.
> Option 2: If you are moving on without Jaw in hopes of catching him later, make sure you do so and follow the boost instructions above.
>>> Al Green = 81 MPH, 100 CTRL, Lvl 3 CCHG.

9) Leading up to first playable game (Aegis):
> Once you have the Gambler’s Ring, continue to practice/boost/SAVE with your focus being Scout Points. Leave yourself with enough Wk 2 turns to get the Perfect Shot/Dr. K/Aim Shot Glove from Sittch. At some point, you might want to visit Bison and get the Psychic Goggles and as much Shiny Fragrance as you can afford (5 or more). Goggles aren't necessary for the first game but getting them now prevents another trip to the Shop. SAVE prior to the Aegis game.
>>> Al Green = 85 MPH, 110 CTRL, 39 STAM, Lvl 3 CCHG.

10) Game, Aegis:
Reload until you throw a perfect game. Aegis is the easiest team to do this against and, because your STAM is low, only a few perfect innings are required. The result is a pile of Scout points (24+) and experience points, and no special abilities. SAVE.
>>> Al Green = (Perfect Game, 8.1 IP!, Coach 14, Scout 29), 86 MPH, 113 CTRL, 39 STAM, Lvl 4 CCHG.

11) Leading up to second playable game (Jokers):
> Continue on your quest for Scout points, boosting/fragrancing along the way (do not boost STAM yet). Veering off to visit Sittch or Frank won’t kill you, but you can always complete Sittch’s arc during the off-season when Scout points are unavailable. SAVE prior to the Jokers game.
>>> Al Green = 86 MPH, 121 CTRL, 39 STAM, Lvl 3 2SFB, Lvl 4 CCHG.

12) Game, Jokers:
> Another perfect game is possible, but not required. Under the influence of Shiny Fragrance, the goal should be a minimum of 16 Scout points, but you can get by with less. No matter how well you do, you still won’t get a special ability. SAVE.
>>> Al Green = (2.2 IP, 6 K, Coach 7, Scout 14), 87 MPH, 124 CTRL, 49 STAM, Lvl 3 2SFB, Lvl 4 CCHG.

13) Rest of Success Mode:
> Nothing but smooth sailing from this point on. Continue to hoard Scout points via practice and the Scout Test(s), boosting your pitcher however you see fit, including STAM. For the remaining games, you will need to walk/bean every batter you face to avoid special abilities. Yes, you read that correctly. Don’t sweat the “Walk Prone” ability you pick up along the way. Just remember to save enough technique and mentality points to get rid of it at the final screen.

Good luck!

NOTE: After punting the two games after the first Jokers game, I decided to go after the Jokers in the final game of season. I favored high fastballs and did not get a special ability despite striking out 9 batters and picking up 21 Scout Points. No need to even practice anymore.

Last edited by Eric Davis 44 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Any interest in a Pitcher Guide?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Yeah, I would like to know how to get away from VS Lefty Batter 4 still making a good pitcher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Yes, please!

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:35 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
I would like to see one, definitely

Money can't buy life

Post subject: Re: Pitcher Guide - avoiding unwanted abilities
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '07: Don't Own
Thanks, Eric. This is going to be helpful, as I've noticed these abilities (particularly Vs LH Batter 4) show up on nearly every pitcher.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The guide puts you on an efficient path, but you don't have to follow it move by move. You can do all practice instead of Sittch/Frank and you can even get by without the Gambler's Ring. The key is reaping huge Scout points from the first two games, and punting the rest. But if you log too many user-controlled innings during the first two games, you might pick up an ability after game 2. That is why we target Aegis and keep our STAM low.

Last edited by Eric Davis 44 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Orioles
Other thing I do is to S/L between January and late February and progress the week which is really a no-no if you want a maxed player, but it brings up the scout at times. If as a pitcher you go for the 2nd of 3 options (do better I think it is) you can pick up 11 scout points per time. My main philosophy is to go strong the first 2 games regardless who it is S/L if necessary to get the most coach and scout points. In the second year it's the gigantes and the guava strawberries games. These 2 teams have either a full team of righties or a lot of them. The one ability or abilities I fall victim to is fastball life 4, spin 4 or dr k which occur if you use a particular type of pitch or strike a lot out. Going high on a batter decreases this in a way and leads to more pop ups and less times of missing the bat or grounders. Good guide Eric!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quick side note for Rob: I recently made a Success Mode pitcher, throwing 100% breaking balls in hopes of picking up Breaking Ball P. Nope. Still searching. I plan on doing the same with my next pitcher, but with 100% fastballs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Orioles
My chipped ps2 fizzled out about a week ago so I couldn't do any players. Remember the free Mcboot??? Lucky I had a memory card with this all I had to do was patch my power pros game to go with esr and I'm back. I've tried getting recently all blue hot/cold spots which I got 5 out of 9 on an experimental player. But I have been trying all avenues for the green abilities with no success....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There are still a couple of things I haven't tried - like starting Joey's arc but then declining his second request, atypical dating dating options, declining the two broast ball invites, I don't know. I still find it hard to believe that the last few abilities don't exist anywhere in Success Mode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Eric Davis 44 wrote:
Quick side note for Rob: I recently made a Success Mode pitcher, throwing 100% breaking balls in hopes of picking up Breaking Ball P. Nope. Still searching. I plan on doing the same with my next pitcher, but with 100% fastballs.

I doubt that'll give anything. I've made pitchers that didn't have breaking pitches and didn't get anything by pitching fastballs.

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks. That will save some time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
I bet a perfect water walking trick might give you a green ability or breakup DP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:10 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Reds
That is impossible

Best JPPY '11 Player
First JPPY '12 Player

Checkout my Honolulu Greats log also

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:13 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yeah, I don't think it can be done.

Also, Eric, I don't find GD Low Pitch or Groundball P to be issues. It's VS LH Batter 4 that's an issue. This should really help avoid it. I've also learned that the Guava Strawberries are almost all righties, so I love pitching against them, that way I don't grab that ability. Plus, they're really easy to perfect game. I've already done it twice

Are you saying it's wrong to talk to a bag of Skittles? Because if so, I'm going to need to rethink a lot of things. :P
BrewersFuzz wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
What do twelve year olds do with girlfriends?
Give them ringpops and let them cut up to their spot in line during lunch.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 2017 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS mutha *(censored)*!
Dishnetkid is a heretic who must be burned