All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Success Mode for MyLife
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:19 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Sony PS2
So I picked the game the other night and went through success mode rather briskly just to get a feel for the new mechanics of the game. I ended up with a fairly decent player, but nobody I'd really consider all that special. I'm thinking about starting a new character for MyLife mode and I'm interested to hear what other people's strategies are for building a position player for a long and glorious career.

It seems to me that the best thing to do in success mode might be to snag up valuable traits more than a player well above average in every stat? I'm debating whether I should try to get an A in strength and as many traits as I can and average to below-average stats everywhere else and let it all work itself out in MyLife *or* if I should just strive to make a 2007 style power house so I can practice less and explore the extra features in MyLife mode (hobbies, friends, etc.)

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Success Mode for MyLife
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Tigers
You will want your 'strength' maxxed, because it takes FOREVER to do it in mylife mode.

Anotherwords, make a player you can enjoy playing with. If a fielder - make sure you can at least hit singles (you probably want at least a D or C in contact)
If you are a pitcher and you plan to start - you better make sure your stamina is as high as you can get it.

Strength and Stamina are nearly impossible to upgrade in mylife mode. They can be upgraded over many years, but really, who has the patience to deal with it over 5-6 years. (it took me about 4 hours to play 1 year in mylife mode).

So, my personal suggestion, is to make sure your strength is strong and your stamina is where you want it.

Post subject: Re: Success Mode for MyLife
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:43 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Kupo! is right. If you want a guy to get some jacks, you'll need Power first. Contact and Speed don't take long at all to boost up so you can live with having a C or D. They'll be at B or A in no time if you focus on it. Some abilities can be earned after a year or two so some of those aren't too important to focus on in Success like Firstball Hitter and Base Runner/Stealing 4. Boost clutch hit so you get a little something extra early on when runners are in scoring position. Contact Hitter is near impossible to get in My Life so get that if you can. It will be invaluable.

Defense is also taken into consideration. If you have poor defense, you wont get to play in the later innings so get Error Resistance up to the C range. Arm Strength all depends on where you play. A second Baseman doesn't need B Arm Strength so you can get By with a C no problem. I usually aim for B Arms with everyone as a personal preference. If you want fielding abilities (not too important in My Life) get those in Success because they are near impossible to come by in My Life.