Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some help with Success Mode (Pitcher)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I bought this game when I got my Wii several years ago. Played it quite a bit but it sat unused for quite some time. Recently, my 7 year old wanted me to make her and her little sister as baseball players in the game. I made her a decent switch-hitting speedy CF in Success Mode. No problem. Just lots of training and eating hot dogs. It's very easy to make an above average fielder in Success Mode IMO. I didn't know about the arcs at this point.

When it came to my youngest, we (my older daughter and I) thought it would be fun to make a pitcher since she's a lefty. My previous experience with pitchers in Success Mode ---> My Life wasn't good. It seemed like the higher my velocity, the better the batter would hit! I almost never got Ks with 98+mph FBs but early on got lots of Ks throwing 85. So I made a high Stamina lefty junkballer and just never added any Top Speed. The first season in My Life was a hoot...0.44 ERA, 410+ Ks, 20 wins. Second season, the league figured out how to hit her 73mph FB and 58mph KB and the ERA shot over 3 and Ks went down to 4-5/game. Plus, she's really easy to steal on with such low velocity. Wasn't an issue when she struck out 15+ batters, big deal when they started to string together hits.

Got me thinking...maybe I could do some research to make a super pitcher who was good at everything. I didn't have high hopes, I mean this is a 7 year old game. Very glad I found the wiki and forum here.

Once I figured out you could get Gyroball via Patty I wanted to do that. I know it's not the best ability, but it's unique. I'd always wondered how to get it. Tried in training in Season to give to players quite a bit and it never, ever worked.

I tried to do it all with the first go around. Steak, Sittch, and Patty...didn't work. I didn't have enough eval (I know this now) and I never got to start in AAA and washed out. Stunk because I had an original pitch at 5, 150+ stamina, and was set to have 95mph velocity after buying Glove Waxes at the end.

Tried again, but could never get beyond the dates with Patty. I know now that I missed the Black Dog event and that blocked any progress. I finished the mode, but no Gyroball.

Starting over once again. Bought a pile of Carryover Chocolate. Still want to finish Sittch and Patty, not sure if it's possible to finish the Steak arc too AND have enough eval to play in AAA.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I realistically do all three or is it a total crap shoot?
2. What are the "make or break" points with the Patty arc? Meaning...if X doesn't happen, you need to go back to the last save and try again? At what point should she invite me to be a part in the business?
3. To that point, is it possible to get Gyroball without completing the Patty arc? I tried s/l a Secrets of Pitching for about a half hour and never saw it.
3a. I have seen some info that says all you need to do is work with Jaw, get the Surprise bag, s/l until you get Secrets of Pitching, then s/l until you get Gyroball. Only a couple events vs. the 20 or more with Patty.

Some other notes: I have read up here and know about the Genius players. Not going to s/l to get one. Also not looking for a general guide on how to make a great pitcher...I'm pretty set on a left hand gyroballer with an original CB. Maybe down the road I'll spread my wings.

Post subject: Re: Some help with Success Mode (Pitcher)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
1. Yes, finishing all three can be done. Eat the carryover chocolates as often as you can (it will error if it is too soon to eat another). Spend your turns well. Use candy or the fitness water to get a little more energy when needed.

2. this will detail most of it: http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.ph ... Guide_2008
But the big parts are the two dates at the lookout, getting Ben to notice, working there afterwards, and having a gift at Xmas. If the Black Dog thing doesn't kick off in the first year, you've missed your chance. So working there once is vital (when you have no stamina at all is a great option).

3. No.

3a. No. According to this (http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.ph ... s#Gyroball) the Patty arc is all there is. If it happened at all, it would be chronicled here somewhere.

The only thing I would offer is, try a knuckle curve rather than a curve, and a CCHG or FORK or SPLIT rather than a straight change up. The AI can't deal with knuckleballs, and it is weaker against the variants than the straight pitch type.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have made a lot of knuckler pitchers in the past, but my experience is when your velocity is high, the knuckler gets hit for flyballs a lot (and these turn into doubles a lot!).

Thanks for the clarification on gyro/Patty.

I actually pick the CCHG a lot too. It's almost unfair when the AI bunts and I get a K with CCHGs that start high and break back into the zone. These would get killed in "real" baseball. I really like the SCB too but I see that it's not available as an original pitch. I like pitches that start outside and break in. The AI doesn't seem to swing at pitches that start in the zone and break out...which is contrary to real life, most great pitchers rely on a pitch or two that breaks out of the zone.

In the Patty guide it says something about Ben getting a loan after your Dad is introduced. My first playthrough I had both the Black Dog event and a gift for Patty but never saw the loan, Ben collapsing, etc. Did I miss something?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

If you saw the black dog and had a gift for patty, the next step is to go to the ducks RIGHT WHEN your dad is introduced. Sometimes I've done something else, and lost the opportunity. I think it's a one-time shot.

Older/dead logs:
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:10 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Welcome to the forums, Duderino!

If you have any problems with the Patty Arc, I did a YouTube video (click to view) explaining the ins and outs of it. It's a part of an entire series I did, going through the 2007 and 2008 Success Modes, and it's worth a watch if you get the chance.

Going back to your original questions, yes, it is possible to do all three arcs for the same player. Sittch's arc is decently short, the Steak arc takes a little time, and the Patty dating arc is SUPER complicated. Heck, even though I've made the video, I still mess up on the Black Dog stuff. It's just such a random thing you wouldn't think to do at first, and the fact that it happens at a specific time makes it even tougher. Other than that, AOW (one of the pros of playing the game, btw) pretty much spelled everything else out.

On the point you made about Eval, getting Shiny Fragrances and the Prince's Necklace from the shop will help out immensely with eval during games and practices. If you do really good in games, you can get a TON of eval and make it past AA (and maybe past the starting level of AAA) easily.

Good luck with making your own players! This is definitely a fun game, and hopefully, you won't be disappointed. If you need any more help with anything, just ask! ;)

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks guys.

I didn't do the necklace or the fragrance and did pretty well. The Carryover Chocolate was the difference for sure. I had 2 activities every week (sometimes 3) vs. 1. Finished Sittch well before the end of AA, Patty before the beginning of AAA. Spent all of AAA concentrating on Steak, additional training with Sittch (wore him out and he gave me the Legends book), and of course regular training. I did miss the 1st AAA game due to lack of eval but started the rest.

Ended up, after the final boosts and purchases, with a 99mph gyro FB, five breaking balls (2SFB, CUT, ORIG (curve w/ edge), V-SLD, CCHG), A Stamina, C control. Dr. K and Fastball life from the books plus most of the other abilities. In MLB Life, I got a little nervous since I got lit up in a spring training game pretty good. I had nothing to worry about --- in my first start I threw a 1 hitter and the next one...a perfect game with 12Ks. It's almost unfair since I see where the batter sets up and throw away from there, they can't catch up or flail at off speed stuff. I ended my play on that note but will be back at it soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Nice job man, that's a solid player!! Impressive that you got him that good with Gyroball, I usually find it hard to focus on upgrading his abilities while trying to please Patty. :lol:

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Next start (lunchtime game, I work from home 3 days a week) was another perfecto. 17Ks. This is fun and I won't even be mad when they start scouting me and the games get a little more realistic.

Has anyone noticed that run support sucks on the played games while the simmed games are pretty normal? Thrown a lot of 1 run CGs for a LOSS in the past with this game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:28 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Yeah, the run support as a pitcher is atrocious in MLB Life. It's a huge drawback to the mode, but other than that, it is a fun mode to play, IMO, and that shouldn't detract your having fun with the game.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yeah I was gonna post about the run support - even if you have an ERA under 1 and toss 400 strikeouts, you'll be lucky to crack .500 on the W/L record.

I think the only way to play My Life as an SP is to create a superman with like A power and play for an NL team. That way you can crank a homer every game or so, to give you some run support and a fighting chance at least.

Older/dead logs: