Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2009 Boston Red Sox
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Try for Furcal or Elvis Andrus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Boston Ships Lugo to Texas

Whenever a trade in the MLB is announced, the press is all over it. This trade wasn't anything different. As soon as Boston's General Manager, Theo Epstein, announced it... he got harassed by reporters who kept asking questions. Luckily for him, Terry Francona obliged to answer them.

"[Julio] was a good shortstop for Boston." Francona said, "but you need to think about upgrading the position. [Elvis] Andrus has a gold glove caliber glove with top notch speed, how many other players can you name off the top of your head that have that? Not many. With that said - Andrus - is our new starting shortstop." Boston's manager told the press.

Fans have mixed feelings about the trade. On one hand, they are happy to dump Lugo's astronomical contract, but on the other, they're afraid of seeing Jed Lowrie leaving Boston in the future. This season Andrus is hitting .244 with two RBIs and has scored seven times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:43 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
good trade, got a guy with great upside

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Boston takes two from Yankes, swept by Cleveland, Faces Rays

The Boston Red Sox are not hot at all this season, but... they are looking to turn it around against the Tampa Bay Rays. It's an interesting match up in game one - Tim Wakefield vs. Andy Sonnastine. They're both red hot this season, but the winner will be determined by the offense. Boston has a new lead off hitter - Elvis Andrus - who's capable of getting on base with a single and getting onto third two pitches later. It's going to be extreme.

However, the Red Sox haven't been able to pull of a victory. They have fallen into a four game losing streak. They took two against the Yankees in a three game series, but because of Chien Ming Wang's pitching, they were unable to take the third. Daniel Bard also shut the Yankees down that day, but gave up a home run to Nick Swisher in the second. It was the only run of the day in twelve combined hits.

And Cleveland flat out destroyed Boston, winning by at least six runs each game...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

PowerPro Jr wrote:
good trade, got a guy with great upside

Him and Furcal are similar. Age was the deciding factor in this trade and salary. I'm surprised that he went so cheap though. The Rangers could have very well declined the trade, but they do have an offensive hole at short which Elvis can't fill.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:06 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Boston Ravages Tampa; Prepares For Game Two

The Boston Red Sox diodn't destroy the Tampa Bay Rays as the title suggests, but they did a terrific job at staying in the game until the forth inning - when they took the lead - and kept it. In the end, Boston defeated Tampa Bay 3-2. They were able to get eight quality innings out of Wakefield, in which, he gave up two runs, struck out four and walked five. He didn't have a Cy Young performance but he had a decent one. In the ninth, Papelbon came into close it out and that he did.

On the year, Boston is 8-14. That's good enough for LAST place in the AL East.

Next up, Boston takes on Tampa Bay. Daniel Bard will be on the mound for Boston, while he squares off against Tampa Bay's Scott Kazmir. Bard, who's had one outing this year, has struck out seven batters and gave up one run in nine innings. He's expected to come away with the victory if he keeps his stuff down in the zone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Boston Enters June... 23-28 on Season

The Boston Red Sox aren't playing well this season and their record reflects that. Luckily, Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, J.D Drew, and Mark Kotsay are all back from being injured. They should be able to help the Red Sox pick up the pace and onward to a winning record this season.

So far this season, Joe Mauer has been the Red Sox's best player offensively. He is hitting .374 with six home runs and twenty-eight runs batted in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:21 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Boston claims Burnett off Waivers from Yanks
June 21, 2009

A.J Burnett was sentenced to Triple-A after his last start. In said start, he gave up nine runs in a Yankee loss. Since then, the Yankees pitcher has been in Triple-A. A week ago he was placed on waivers, and the Red Sox claimed him.

"Burnett is the final piece to the puzzle," Theo Epstein, Boston's GM said. "With him, our rotation is stronger and much healthier. Bard, Smoltz, Burnett, Matsuzaka, and Beckett... that's the strongest rotation [in the majors]." Epstein didn't comment on whether or not Burnett's salary would be too much to take on. He avoided that question completely when it asked.

As it stands, Boston has 35-33 win-loss record towards the end of June. They are eleven games out of first place.

Trade rumors are also brewing in Boston... Jason Bay may be on his way out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

MLB Blockbuster: Bay for Dunn

The Red Sox and the Nationals finalized a deal this afternoon. Boston has traded for 29-year-old left fielder Adam Dunn and in return Washington will receive 25-year-old minor league left fielder Aaron Bates, 23-year-old starting pitcher Homer Bailey and 30-year-old left fielder Jason Bay.

Bay on the season is batting .240 with 13 home runs. His totals include 46 RBIs and 49 runs scored. He has played in 87 games.

In 88 games this season Dunn has batted at a .291 pace with 86 hits and 25 home runs. He is projected to hit upwards of forty home runs on the year.

Boston is currently in third place in the AL East. They have a record of 49-39, eight games out of first, and two and a half games out of the Wild Card.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

wow, bad move by the yanks. (We've never heard THAT before.) :roll: :lol:

Last edited by PowerPro Jr on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

PowerPro Jr wrote:
wow, stupid move by the yanks. (We've never heard THAT before.) :roll: :lol:

Uh, no. When I claimed him, Burnett had an ERA of 12.57++. It was a very smart move for somebody to come in and waive him, and a dumb move for me to claim him. However, it's turning out to be a really good move. He's lowered his ERA to the mid 3s.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

What do you guys think of the trade for Dunn? He should help me out a lot in my playoff run. It was either him or Manny, but Manny went down for three weeks right after I submitted the offer to the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

ok trade, but if you could have, you should've gotten a prospect as well as Dunn. But the home run boost is a plus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:45 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

PowerPro Jr wrote:
ok trade, but if you could have, you should've gotten a prospect as well as Dunn. But the home run boost is a plus

I tried to get a prospect, but that threw the whole deal off. They didn't want to give me anymore than Dunn because Bay is an overpaid, slumping veteran at this point in the season. If I wanted a prospect, they wanted Votto and/or Mauer added to the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:45 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

oh ok, good deal anyway

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next