All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benvenuto's Tigers, The beginning of a new era in Detroit
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
2008 came to Detroit. Jim Leyland became burned out once more and resigned from the position of Manager once again, leaving President Dave Dembrowski with a challenge. He needed someone to take his best friend's place. Someone who had a good idea of business, and who would grow to love baseball.

April was approaching, and Jim Leyland made his farewell in front of 12,000 fans in Lakeland, Florida at the end of Spring Training March 27th, 2008. With this unwarned farewell, the question was raised to fans: who would take change of a once thriving again Tigers team? Who would have the momentum and strength to keep the boys of TigerTown grom falling in failure again? Who could? :| And how could that new manager do it? :?:

March 30th came and a new Manager was hired. The young man's name would be only revealed as Benvenuto, and what a promising future he held for the team. He had promised of taking the boys all the way to World Series again. That promise, would hold true.

And so it began, the legacy of Benvenuto's work. The Tigers started out being 11-2 and man would the season improve from there. With Miguel and Maggs reaching 10 HR's by April 30th and with a whole season to come there'd shock, surprise and hope of another title in the months ahead.

MAY:

May was one heck of a month in 2008, the team improved to 29-14 and had a bench clearing brawl in the T's-White Sox game during the 22nd. Pudge and Thome were ejected for the remainder of the game and the brawl was the highlight for the next few weeks on ESPN and FSN Final Score. When Benvenuto was asked his thoughts on the brawl he said: "I don't approve of the brawl, with them being professionals and all, but even now and then you have to let loose and it may be unapproving for me to say it.....but I find the whole ordeal quite amusing. Thank you ESPN. :mrgreen: "

JUNE: With the troubles of the 2007 season behind them, the team held first place for the first time during seaon on June 6th. With a record of 39-18. The season had improved greatly, and when Benvenuto was asked for his secret on making a such low team return to greatness he said: "Well, It's a secret for one, and to let you know you just keep believeing in your players. If you never doubt them, they will not doubt you too much as skipper and will like a whole lot more, and one of the examples you shouldn't learn from is how the Yankee's (Skipper) is running things. That's not just how you do it, some may criticize me for it, but I'll deal with and say "hey, this is how I run this, and it'll be this way till I'm gone" so there."

July: This month held alot of surprise, with Pudge getting a standing ovation for 2500 hits and with Gary Sheffield getting his 500th homer of his career. Those achivements boosted the team's and Benvenuto's morales greatly and had them looking forward to the pennant races in September. But the toughest month on record was to come, and one that would not be forgotten for awhile.

August: Injuries and foul play were recieved in the Tiger's clubhouse. Sheffield and Ordonez were on the list again for the use of Steroids and Guillen and Pudge were out on the 15 DL list for a twisted ankle and broken collarbone. Benvenuto went to triple A standby Raburn, and Inge was moved to catcher while Raburn take over 3rd for Guillen for time being. With a devestating 4 game series sweep by the Indians, it seemed like morale had fallen. But not for long for September came, things began to really WARM up.

September: This brought Benvenuto's birthday and callups from the minors for the playoffs in the fall. September was well received in the fall with the team having a 87-62 record and hopes of the playoffs were very strong and well expected. Boy, were the fans ever right, the boys finished the season 105-57 with a division title clenched and the top spot in the AL.

Coming up next:

The October report and plans for next season. When we return on the Detroit Tigers radio network. :!:

Post subject: Re: Benvenuto's Tigers, The beginning of a new era in Detroit
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
good job so far.
i think this is becoming the new "thing", franchise logs.
I think I'm the only one who did a dream draft, though.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Good job so far. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:28 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Rays
It's coming nicely.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3276

It's going to be great!!!

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:28 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: White Sox
Good luck for October...
And F/A....

Most strikeouts in a single 9 inning game-22
Perfect games pitched-4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:58 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

October 2008: Would not be something forgotten by Tigers fans, well not easily at least. Jeremy Bonderman began the ALDS against the LA Angels in game with a No-No at Angels Stadium in Anaheim. Game 2 would go to the Angels by a score of 2-0 with the Tigers only getting 3 hits.

Game 3 would be the sucker punch that would do away the Angels with the final score being 14-3 and the Halo's would fall to the Tigers with a 3-1 series finisher to allow the TigerTown boys to advance to the ALCS and face the still expected World Series returnees the Boston Red Sox.

The ALCS came without shock as the Red Sox began the series with a 3 game lead. Detroit would become the 2nd team in ALCS history to come back from a 3 game deficit and another No-No by D-Willis in Game 7 with the final score being 3-0 at Fenway.

World Series 2008 was one that would not be forgotten easily at all, the matchup would be the Tigers versus the Mets. This is one long series with 3 games going into extra innings. Game 2 (14 innings) Game 5 (13 innings) and Game 6 (11 innings).

Game 7 would be a silent affair, with the first game hit coming in the top of the 4th at Shea with an Ordonez HR. Brandon Inge would follow Ordonez with a 3 run HR in the top of the 8th, to seal the deal. IT was here, for the first time in 24 years.

THE TIGERS WERE WORLD CHAMPIONS ONCE MORE

Celebrations were held in Detroit, Benvenuto was congratulated on his feat by follow managers and also honored by MLB comissioner Bud Selig. Detroit fans were on the top of the world. Not the Yankees, Not the Red Sox, Not the Cubs. THE TIGERS AND THEIR FANS WERE.

And so Winter came silently without much haste, and F/A passed and the Tigers drafted two fielders and the picks were a promising 2nd Baseman and a decent Left Fielder. These were the picks for next years team, and the Motor City was looking forward to 2009.

Benvenuto said: "I would like to thank the support fans have had for the team this past season, without the fans and teamwork would we never have reached this far into the postseason. Yet alone a World title, We look forward to 2009 with a sense of hope and another appearence in the fall classic. Alot was learned this year, and several bonds were made as players and coaches worked together in Spring Training that was rapidly approaching this past year and this coming year. Thank you Detroit and Thanks to Mr.I and to you my Players."

All was quiet in the Motor City in March 2009, but this was just the calm before the storm.

Stay Tuned: THE 2009 SEASON IS NEXT! your listening to the Detroit Tigers radio network. :!:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:35 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

from the 2009 season onward, I'll post in journal style entries. Like after a game, I'll post my thoughts on performance as such like Leyland (in real life) his post game comments on FSN Detroit with postgame show for the Tigers.

Get a similar thing going here, and within the next few hours I'll start 2009. So stick around! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

on the 2009 season opener at Kansas City:

"Well, you have to credit nothing in this series, we spilt the series to 2 a peice and the boys played well. Pitching had a shaky start but when they pick up they'll be moving along well. Hitting, as always has been stunning and I ask for nothing more as said by the 6 runs in the top 7th in Game 2 of the series."

On Game 1&2 of 3 against Toronto (home opening series):

"Well, they played hard and pitching did their best and hitting pitched in as well, but with Game 2, we had a predominant lead yet the Jays were able to tie it. I hand it to them this year, pitching has improved from 2008 and they had us good to hold us to an extra inning loss. I wish them best of luck in the series closer tomorrow."

Tigers record as of 4/11/2009:
6-3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I simmed through May and the beginning of the June last night, and Detroit is currently 42-19. The season is progressing well, very little injuries have occured and some choice players are expected to stay for the next few years.

Just thought I'd give a small, honest update.

Stay Tuned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:47 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Detroit is in the 2009 postseason and have taken game 1 against the Mariners. More to come soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

not so much of a plot anymore...

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I've gotten busy with school, so I kinda had to cram to 2009 season to a short length and with barebone updates. Expect the 2010 season to be different, and really I didn't plan this to be no plot in 09' but it'll improve from 2010 and out. :!:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:13 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

same here.
i haven't played in over 72 hours...

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:44 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

GM BENVENUTO GRATEFUL TO FANS ONCE MORE FOR A GREAT 2009.

This statement was released last night on the Detroit Tigers official website last night, on October 31st, 2009:

"Fans, we were here a year ago and with your care and support we're here again as world champions. I can't thank you enough for the support or attention you've given me, I thought at first you would scorn me and take Leyland over me then rather me for 09'. The point in fact is, I've might started an unthinkable legacy here in Tigertown. I gave you 2 pennants and back-to-back World Series wins.

I'm left speechless in thanks to your support, if I had a party on my deck, I'd probably cause it to collapse and several would be hurt. So I'm stuck somewhere in between, As a gift on opening day 2010 I will be giving out Year in Review DVD's for 08 and 09 together for free to the first 15,000 fans in the gates at Comerica Park, April 7th, 2010.

I hope to see you at Comerica next season! Thanks again!"

Several Edits made due to a rushed post