Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: N' Awlins Desperados Franchise Log
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:53 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
"Hello ladies and gents, and welcome to Opening Day for the New Orleans Desperados!" boomed the announcer.
Immediately, "Hello There" (by Cheap Trick) was blasting on the stereo system at luxurious (though it doesn't have a high capacity) Rainbow Beach Stadium in downtown N'Awlins.

"First, however, a word from the owner of the Desperados, Great Gonzalez! No, I'm kidding, his real name is Shawn Chief"

"Thank you," said Chief in a surprisingly mellow tone, "I would say a bunch of cliches about this day and team, but you already know how great they are."
The fans roared with excitement.

"I just wanted to introduce myself, and of course my GM, Marvin Lesman, who I have actually known since childhood. However, he can be, well, geeky at times (but don't tell him that.)."

Out of the smoke filled tunnel came Marvin, who walked on to rousing applause. He had been a fan favorite for the Red Sox for his 12-year career, and had been a great leadoff hitter for most of that time. He was only about as good as a top 10 SS, though, but he still managed to steal an average of 37 bases a season, with a decent batting average of .285 to boot.
After Marvin had his intro, the players walked on, and the yells of the fans became deafening.
"Settle down, guys, we still have a ballgame to play, don't we?" said Chief, and incredibly enough the fans listened.
Finally, the game started, but not without one heck of a moment...

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:07 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Andre Rodriguez was warming up on the mound when he saw something strange...
A man was standing on the railing on the middle deck, behind the backstop!
The man yelled something, then jumped!
The net behind home plate caught him, and security rushed over.
The man apparently wanted to test the strength of the netting, and apparently it could hold at least 210 pounds!
The game started 5 minutes later, and that moment became the joke of the clubhouse the rest of the season.
They even managed to get a frame by frame picture of the jump, estimated around 55 feet to put in the dugout.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:12 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Only 3 hits occurred up until the bottom of the 5th inning in a heated pitcher's duel between Andre Rodriguez and Zach Greinke, but then some classic baseball took place.
It started with a bloop single over Tony Pena's head by Tomas Perez, who promptly stole second.
After a G. White strikeout, Great Wood singles to center field to put the Desperados ahead 1-0!
Greinke got out of the inning without further damage.
Edit: sorry, it was the fourth inning.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:19 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

WOW.
A Brady Clark single starts it.
A Chief fielder's choice and a stolen base (went for Clark, both runners safe) continued it.
With the infield in, Ultimate hits a routine grounder.
If the infield was back more.
Tony Pena doesn't get dirty to try to make the play, and both runners come around to score on a beautifully performed hit-and-run.
3-0, and with Rodriguez on cruise control, it looks like the Desperados will win their first game ever on Opening Day, at home.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:37 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

The game headed into the 8th inning 3-5, NO leading, when runners cam on 1st and 2nd, Dan Johnson at the plate.
The first pitch he sees is a splitter from Joel Peralta just where he likes it, and he crushes it 412 feet to stick the dagger in the heart.
David Wrong came on and got the save after Mako allowed 2 runs, and Andre Rodriguez pitched 7 innings of shutout ball.
The final score was 8-5, and the fans left happy.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:42 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

"What the f*** were you doing out there, screamed Mako, his recipient being Brady Clark.
"If you hadn't misplayed that f***ing ball (in the 8th inning, Mako ended up allowing 2 extra runs because of it), my ERA wouldn't be higher than a hot air balloon!"
Brady retaliated, "Well you shouldn't have given up a hit in the first place."
"At least my salary ain't higher than my game." scoffed Mako.
Suddenly, Clark leaped on Mako, but Mako threw him off just as Chief walked in.
"What the hell?" he asked.
They both trudged to his office, and they knew that something big was going to happen to one of them, though not in a good way...

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:11 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Matt Morris pitched 8 1/3 innings of 1 hit ball (a no-no was broken up in the 7th), and David Wrong got the save.
In the bottom of the 7th, Chief gets a single, then steals second.
Ultimate, on a hit-and-run, singles (although he advanced to second on the relay), scoring Chief with what turned out to be the game winning hit.
Bryan Bannister, despite pitching almost as good as Morris, allowing only 5 hits, took the loss.
Ultimate and Chief are known to be inseparable, and having them on the same team only makes them better.

Please guys, comment.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:14 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

A huge trade has been pushed through, as the Desperados have a new catcher, SP and LF.
David Newhan, Mike DiFelice, and Matt Morris (salary) were traded to the Dodgers for:
Andre Ethier, Russell Martin, and Chad Billingsley (edited).
Cash was sent over as well.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:14 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
This is pretty good so far, I'll follow.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:15 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and DS
Brady Clark is definatly not worth the money be gets, I think it's over 1000
And I thought you released Chief and nice game, it's good to see Matt Moriss do something good. And that's what I call a steal!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:24 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, SJac, 1 more post until the big 4-0-0-0!

"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:25 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Pirates
Console '08: Wii and DS
Post count really doesn't matter. It's just a number, like ages.

Nice game by Matt Morris!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yeah, I was just noticing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Pirates
apple4960 wrote:
Post count really doesn't matter. It's just a number, like ages.

Nice game by Matt Morris!

Not when you turn twenty-one.

I'm surprised by Matt Morris's performance though - he's usually crap for me, and I don't sign him because of that. His salary is a little on the high side, too. I'm cheap though and usually don't sign players making more than one thousand unless they're a big name free agent (Burnett, Beckett, Lincecum, King Felix, and Cain, mostly).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:31 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
I sign Matt Morris and immediately trade him to the Pirates for Paul Maholm. :)

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next