Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: The 2009 Boston Red Sox
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:45 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
For the end of the school year (since i'm upper middle-class and graduating from middle school), i'll probably ask for BM10 or OOTPX.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:20 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
get both. :mrgreen:

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:52 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Favorite Team: Royals
I'd recommend OOTPX over Mogul, but that's just me. If you've fixed the problem with the OOTP9 Demo, I'd start comparing the two since you have BM10's demo downloaded.

OOTP's demos don't block you from doing anything. You have full access to all the features someone who bought the game would have, but you can only play one season. If you play 100 seasons in 10 days, you got a ton out of the demo.

Mogul's demo, on the other hand, locks you from certain features (simulations settings, commish mode, and starting in a year you want to start in). Very limited. However, I will admit that Mogul is simpler than OOTP, but if you take the time to learn OOTP (if you spend anytime at all with 9's demo, you'll have the interface mastered), and you'll find it more enjoyable if you're like.

One thing I like on OOTP: you can have the computer set its depth chart based on saber-metrics or ratings. I always have the A's be that saber-metric team because of Billy Beane.

Games CAN get delayed on OOTPX, so you can have that Subway Series doubleheader!!

Oh and because Longball was saying he can't compare his financials to the rest of the league:

League Drop down Menu --> Reports --> Financial Reports --> Eureka!

That's just one of the many reports I can access. For example, I can view the disabled list for each team - who's injured, why, and how long they're out for. I can see my entire farm system. Who's in it and whether or not they should be called up or demoted based on their current performance. I can see top prospects based on their potential for the MLB and my team. I can look at every team's players at whatever position I want and see who's their top prospect at said position. The possibilities are endless because everybody at OOTP Developments continually tries to out do themselves and they always take feedback from the community. In 2006, the game was rushed, the developer wasn't happy with it. He went to the forums and told everybody that he's going to start developing a new version, they can submit ideas, if they're practical, he'll add them. He continues to subscribe to that very same theory. In turn, you have Season Ticket Baseball or OOTP Baseball 3, having almost all the features Mogul does now and more.

That's why I'm a fan of OOTP. You aren't ignored. You can practically set up anything in the game you want. If you want to set up a universe where you have a league of 300 teams, you can do it. If you want to create something like the MLB is now and add Japanese, Korean, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Cuban, Venezuelan and/or NCAA/High school baseball leagues, you can do it!

People from High School/NCAA feeder leagues get placed in the draft. So, when you're drafting, you can look at their college or high school stats.

Player A hits .310 in college with twenty-five home runs with perfect fielding.
Player B hits .280 in college with thirty-two home runs while committing fifteen errors at first base.

You can look at that information. It's based on their ratings, while in Mogul, they even admit to it, being random. It's not random in OOTP. You can trust those stat lines when drafting players. Mogul also doesn't have the ability to add budgets to drafts. You can do that in OOTP. You can calculate it by city population or just set it yourself. I, for one, sometimes like doing a dream draft where small market teams (San Fransisco, Tampa Bay) have the larger budget than teams like Boston and New York. It actually works out quite well.

Oh, and if you ever dreamed of seeing Babe Ruth play in 2009, you can import him from the database and choose what year of his career you want him to be based off, this includes age. 1921 Babe Ruth vs. Johan Santana, who would win? Would Ruth go long? Would the smaller parks make him hit more home runs?

The injury system in OOTP was recently revamped, too. Players will now suffer setbacks. Tim Lincecum tears his rotator cuff (I wouldn't be surprised). He's initially down for three months, but because of an accident during rehab, he's out for another three weeks or his career just ends completely like Eric Chavez's could after the surgery he's about to have.

Let's not forget the revamped pitching system either. For OOTPX, they added individual pitch ratings. A guy with two pitches won't make a good starter because he's too predictable, but he could make a terrific closer because guys won't see him that much - they can't adapt - in turn, he ends up being the best reliever of his generation or something. The pitch ratings feed directly into whether a guy is a starter or a reliever, but it's only a suggestion. If you don't want Daniel Bard to be a reliever, you can throw him into A Ball as a starter so he develops more stamina and that third or forth pitch he badly needs. If you don't want to go through that, you can just place him in your starting rotation without a care in the world.

The point is: OOTP can do a lot more than Mogul can if you're willing to get over the learning curve. OOTP to me is like learning how to read. You want to read and when your finally done, even though you struggled, you end up getting more in return than what you originally asked for.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Rays
Storm wrote:
I'd recommend OOTPX over Mogul, but that's just me. If you've fixed the problem with the OOTP9 Demo, I'd start comparing the two since you have BM10's demo downloaded.

OOTP's demos don't block you from doing anything. You have full access to all the features someone who bought the game would have, but you can only play one season. If you play 100 seasons in 10 days, you got a ton out of the demo.

Mogul's demo, on the other hand, locks you from certain features (simulations settings, commish mode, and starting in a year you want to start in). Very limited. However, I will admit that Mogul is simpler than OOTP, but if you take the time to learn OOTP (if you spend anytime at all with 9's demo, you'll have the interface mastered), and you'll find it more enjoyable if you're like.

One thing I like on OOTP: you can have the computer set its depth chart based on saber-metrics or ratings. I always have the A's be that saber-metric team because of Billy Beane.

Games CAN get delayed on OOTPX, so you can have that Subway Series doubleheader!!

Oh and because Longball was saying he can't compare his financials to the rest of the league:

League Drop down Menu --> Reports --> Financial Reports --> Eureka!

That's just one of the many reports I can access. For example, I can view the disabled list for each team - who's injured, why, and how long they're out for. I can see my entire farm system. Who's in it and whether or not they should be called up or demoted based on their current performance. I can see top prospects based on their potential for the MLB and my team. I can look at every team's players at whatever position I want and see who's their top prospect at said position. The possibilities are endless because everybody at OOTP Developments continually tries to out do themselves and they always take feedback from the community. In 2006, the game was rushed, the developer wasn't happy with it. He went to the forums and told everybody that he's going to start developing a new version, they can submit ideas, if they're practical, he'll add them. He continues to subscribe to that very same theory. In turn, you have Season Ticket Baseball or OOTP Baseball 3, having almost all the features Mogul does now and more.

That's why I'm a fan of OOTP. You aren't ignored. You can practically set up anything in the game you want. If you want to set up a universe where you have a league of 300 teams, you can do it. If you want to create something like the MLB is now and add Japanese, Korean, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Cuban, Venezuelan and/or NCAA/High school baseball leagues, you can do it!

People from High School/NCAA feeder leagues get placed in the draft. So, when you're drafting, you can look at their college or high school stats.

Player A hits .310 in college with twenty-five home runs with perfect fielding.
Player B hits .280 in college with thirty-two home runs while committing fifteen errors at first base.

You can look at that information. It's based on their ratings, while in Mogul, they even admit to it, being random. It's not random in OOTP. You can trust those stat lines when drafting players. Mogul also doesn't have the ability to add budgets to drafts. You can do that in OOTP. You can calculate it by city population or just set it yourself. I, for one, sometimes like doing a dream draft where small market teams (San Fransisco, Tampa Bay) have the larger budget than teams like Boston and New York. It actually works out quite well.

Oh, and if you ever dreamed of seeing Babe Ruth play in 2009, you can import him from the database and choose what year of his career you want him to be based off, this includes age. 1921 Babe Ruth vs. Johan Santana, who would win? Would Ruth go long? Would the smaller parks make him hit more home runs?

The injury system in OOTP was recently revamped, too. Players will now suffer setbacks. Tim Lincecum tears his rotator cuff (I wouldn't be surprised). He's initially down for three months, but because of an accident during rehab, he's out for another three weeks or his career just ends completely like Eric Chavez's could after the surgery he's about to have.

Let's not forget the revamped pitching system either. For OOTPX, they added individual pitch ratings. A guy with two pitches won't make a good starter because he's too predictable, but he could make a terrific closer because guys won't see him that much - they can't adapt - in turn, he ends up being the best reliever of his generation or something. The pitch ratings feed directly into whether a guy is a starter or a reliever, but it's only a suggestion. If you don't want Daniel Bard to be a reliever, you can throw him into A Ball as a starter so he develops more stamina and that third or forth pitch he badly needs. If you don't want to go through that, you can just place him in your starting rotation without a care in the world.

The point is: OOTP can do a lot more than Mogul can if you're willing to get over the learning curve. OOTP to me is like learning how to read. You want to read and when your finally done, even though you struggled, you end up getting more in return than what you originally asked for.

QFT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
Dr K wrote:
Storm wrote:

QFT

1. what's QFT?
2. Mogul has individual pitch ratings too (and randy johnson's slider is actually called mr. snappy in the game!)
3. I have heard that mogul is simpler, and that OOTP has more features.
4. What do you mean 100 seasons in 10 days? I hope you don't mean playing all day...
5. Actually, the only features I really care about that are missing are the stadium editor and team editor and crap.
6. What type of sabermetrics? I'm just curious, I like that stuff a bit, it'd be weird seeing that in a video game.
8. I can't count. :lol:

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8