Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2009 Boston Red Sox
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
This is what version of Out of the Park Baseball?
The newest version won't have a demo until July... :cry:

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:14 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Favorite Team: Royals
He used 10.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I tried to download the demo for OOTP 9, but it said I don't have the application oledlg.dll
so i download it, and it still says I don't have it...

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:38 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

stevenjackson39 wrote:
I tried to download the demo for OOTP 9, but it said I don't have the application oledlg.dll
so i download it, and it still says I don't have it...

He didn't give you an official download link, which could be the source of your problem.

Download it from this link here. That link redirects you to the official Out of the Park Development Files site.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:44 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

i googled it, actually. i must not have found the right places...

EDIT: It still doesn't work.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:02 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

I don't know what to tell you other than to download Oledlg.dll from this link:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... tml?oledlg

And extract it to

Code:
C:\Windows\System32

If you have Vista.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I'm fine.
I just downloaded a demo of Baseball Mogul 2010 (I had it bookmarked because of a civics project i think), and I'm having just as much fun.
i might start a log on that myself, depends on how far the demo goes...

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:32 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Reds
I have the full version of BM 2010, if you want that....

I illegally dl'd it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:40 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
HOW?! :shock: I want it! I want it!

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:41 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

stevenjackson39 wrote:
I'm fine.
I just downloaded a demo of Baseball Mogul 2010 (I had it bookmarked because of a civics project i think), and I'm having just as much fun.
i might start a log on that myself, depends on how far the demo goes...

The demo only goes one full year.

Such a shame though. Mogul lacks the statistical depth and creativity that you're offered with OOTP Baseball. It's good you're having fun though. Personally, I own both games, but I prefer OOTPX. It has better play-by-play, a nicer, more mature community, more online leagues, and much more. They also just added a new scouting system and individual pitch ratings which makes developing a pitcher true to real life, etc. . .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Rays
OOTP Baseball is the best Baseball GM Simulation I own. I have everything from Baseball Mogul to Puresim Baseball and I've never played a greater game than OOTP, especially version X. The new features they added are outstanding and the historical replay accuracy is like no other. In Mogul, I see Babe Ruth making 50 Million. In OOTP, I see him making far less than that, let's say about 20,000 a year which would be more on par.

Mogul doesn't focus on any financial settings, in turn, players are making millions dating back to 1903. If you want a good game, you'd wait for the demo of OOTPX or buy it now, because you'll enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

True, but I'm not much of a "play out the 19__ season" type of guy.
I have been making tons of trades, and they actually seem really fair (i got highway robbery from the angels though, even though i gave up lincecum, with his sudden dream to play for them... Guerrero, hunter, brandon wood, AND Lackey.)

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I downloaded a demo version of OOTP 9, and personally, I don't like it. It's so confusing and disorganized... I have an old Baseball Mogul, the 2007 version, and it was very simple and intuitive. I was able to understand everything within a few minutes. In OOTP 9, it took me 3 days. For example, to promote a player to the majors, in Mogul 2007 you pull up the Team Lineup screen from the tab menu at the top, and drag and drop your AAA player from the bottom menu to the top one. Very simple. In OOTP9, you have to pull up the Transactions screen, find the player you want to call up in any of the many screens, right click on him, place him on the secondary roster, then place him on the active roster.
In Mogul 2007 there is a simple calendar screen that you can use to fast forward to any day you want. In OOTP9 you have to either use the Auto-Play (which only allows you to go by day, week, or month) or manually click one day at a time to a date, which takes up a lot of time.
The finances screen not only gives you YOUR financial statistics but also compares them to the league's. While the statistics are not as advanced as OOTP9, I would guess that new stats might be included in Baseball Mogul 2010.
The leaders screen looks much more sleek and easier to use than OOTP. Again, some major statistics are left out, but they probably will be included in Mogul 2010.
The Summary screen gives you a very good look at your statisitcs, finances, top prospects, expiring contracts, and team leaders.

As for the thing you mentioned - salaries out of whack - to simplify the game, Baseball Mogul converts all salaries to modern multi-million dollar salaries. And besides, 20,000 a year for Ruth? He had a salary of 80,000 in 1930 - and that wasn't even his best year.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:29 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Everything you're complaining about in OOTP can be disabled for your enjoyment. As for simulating, you can simulate by date, event, day, month, year, or week. I don't think you spent three days to figure it out, more like three minutes before deciding that you didn't want to deal with it.

The menus are actually easier to go through than Mogul. And odd, I'm looking at my financial information for the Wichita Woodpeckers, and it's comparing them to the league. I'm currently looking at how my payroll rates to the league, my revenue, attendance, staff salary, etc. . . there is more to the financials tab than the actual financials page you see at first. And I can generate a report on OOTP to see what every teams' financials are like, if I want.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Maybe it's just OOTP 9 then, since I can't find anything you're talking about...

But I actually do like it, just not as much as Baseball Mogul 2007. I'm just comparing these two versions, maybe it'll be different with the current ones.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next