All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The New York Mets
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:30 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Favorite Team: Royals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Before the 2008 Season entered full swing, the Owner of the New York Mets, Fred Wilpon, wrote a letter to two people. The first letter went out to current General Manager, Omar Minaya. The second letter went out to his replacement, Steven LaTroy.

The Letter to Omar wrote:

Dear Mr. Minaya,

I appreciate everything you have done for the New York Mets since you took control of the franchise. You've gave the fans and myself many memories to cherish. All of New York loves you, but in the words of Donald Trump: "you're fired". When we asked you to be our General Manager, you told me we would have a championship team in two years. Mr. Minaya, we don't have a championship team. We haven't won a World Series. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

I look forward to watching you clean out your office the next morning. You have also been granted 3.5 million dollars in severance pay. That should last you awhile, or until you get back on your feet.

Sincerely,

Fred Wilpon, Owner of the New York Mets

The Letter to Steven wrote:

Dear Mr. LaTroy,

We [the Mets] thank you for letting us into your home last night. We realize it was New Years, but baseball is a business and when businesses want something, they stop at nothing to get it. Mr. LaTroy, we want you to act as General Manager of the New York Mets for the next few years. There are no strings attached. It will be a breath of fresh air for both the Mets and your family.

I look forward to hearing from you within the next few days. My number is (555) 555-0123.

I look forward to doing business with you,

Fred Wilpon

Post subject: Re: The New York Mets
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:20 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Sony PS2
huh?
Are those letters real?
BTW anyone saw what happened last night with Mets?
Maybe thats why they haven't won a World Series :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:22 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
They've won a couple of World Series before. 1969 and sometime in the 80s, I think.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies

Bill Buckner. :)

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

I'm well aware the Mets have won a World Series in their time. However, the Mets haven't won a World Series since Omar Minaya, their current GM, came into the picture in 2005.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:25 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Front Office Shakeup: Mets Fire Omar; Bring in Greenhorn, Steven LaTroy
January 1, 2008

Fred Wilpon announced to the press earlier in the week that he had personally fired Omar Minaya from being the General Manager of the New York Mets, citing "the inability to take my team to the playoffs". Since then, media outlets everywhere have been speculating who he would call in to lead the team to the World Series. Well, the speculating is over! Last night, Mr. Wilpon held another press conference -- one to announce the signing of the Mets' new General Manager -- Steven LaTroy.

"I'm excited to be here," LaTroy told the press. He held up a Mets uniform, bearing the number 72. His number in college. "I can't think of any other team I'd like to manage at this point." Steven continued. "I've been a fan of New York since I was a kid. I observed the 1986 Buckner Fiasco. It was one of the best moments of my life. Second to only my marriage and the birth of my thirteen year old son, Nicholas." Steven paused for a second to take a deep breath, "He's the one who encouraged me to become the new General Manager."

The press laughed at all of his jokes, showing the classic signs of liking a guy. However, the New York Times started to play hardball with Mr. LaTroy. "Mr. LaTroy, how do you intend on taking the Mets to the World Series?" A reporter asked.

"Well, Bob, do you mind if I call you Bob?" LaTroy joked, "It's like taking any other team to the World Series, honestly. You need to find a talented, hard-working group of ballplayers who aren't afraid of a little hustle. You also need to have the support of the fans. If they aren't into the game, we [the players and staff] aren't into the game so everybody loses." LaTroy spoke in a serious tone and refrained from making anymore petty jokes as he continued. "You need to realize, we have a talented bunch of guys who pretty much stop playing in September. I don't know if he [Minaya] tolerated that, but I won't. If someone doesn't want to give it one hundred percent everyday of his contract, he's off the team -- pointblank."

Reporters gasped. "Does that mean fan favorites such as [Pedro] Martinez and [Johan] Santana could be traded away?" One reporter asked.

"Yes, of course. Everybody can be thrown off the team. If they have a no trade clause, I'll order the manager to bench the player until he decides to waive it."

"Is that the best course of action?" Another reporter asked, but Fred Wilpon decided to answer the question instead.

"I believe it is. You see, Minaya allowed slackers to be on the team. He allowed the guys to be late to practice and the like. That's why he was canned and eventually LaTroy was hired. During the initial interview, I didn't even ask him about that problem. He came in, presented me a -stack- of paperwork and said 'that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to let people know if they don't want to play, they don't have to. They can play somewhere else become a free agent.'" Wilpon continued, "He was very serious and precise. It's evident that he won't suffer from myopia anytime soon."

Last edited by Storm on Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
That looks like OOTP baseball.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

yeah trade both Santana and Martinez! :)

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:10 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

lanceberkman wrote:
That looks like OOTP baseball.

I used OOTP for that picture, since it catches the look I want LaTroy to have. Otherwise, everything (even the game) is Power Pros.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:55 am 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

LaTroy Deals Alou

To many, dealing away Moises Alou would be punishable by being hanged outside the ball park. However, the player the Mets got in return, Nick Swisher, is certainly one heck of a replacement player. Late last night, according to a source close to negotiations between the White Sox and the Mets, the deal was finalized.

"It was about one o'clock on the east coast when he [LaTroy] was on the phone. I asked him who it was and he scribbled down Kenny Williams. At first, I didn't know who Williams was, but then I went to his other side and looked at his Toshiba's screen. He had been typing up a letter to legal. One part stood out for me, at least: Swisher for Alou. I was shell shocked, but I'm excited to see such a good player heading our way. He really knows how to lighten up the mood and hustle..." The anonymous source told reporters.

After speaking with him in the morning, Steven LaTroy held a press conference to discuss the trade:

"Ladies and gentleman of the press, it is a pleasure to have you all here. Last night, I agreed to trade Moises Alou away to Chicago for Nick Swisher. Swisher brings a ton of tools to the table, I can guarantee you he will be hustling everyday... while making the clubhouse more and more like Kevin Millar and Johnny Damon did to the Boston Red Sox in 2004." LaTroy continued, "All we are waiting for now is both players to pass their physicals and Bud Selig's approval, which we'll have no trouble getting." Steven made a few jokes before walking away from the podium.

"Michael, get over here." Steven whispered behind the Mets curtain after he walked away from the podium. His assistant, Michael DuBrauch, walked over to his boss. "I don't appreciate you leaking details of trades. If you do it again, you're fired."

"I didn't do it..." DuBrauch whimpered.

"Read the Times. They printed your name." LaTroy hissed as he stormed off to get on the phone with Mr. Swisher and congratulate him on joining the Mets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:54 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

I'm going to sit on this for awhile, but the Mariners just offered me Ichiro for Swisher and Church. Normally, I'd accept something like this in a heartbeat considering I have the needed outfield depth in Triple-A, but I think acquiring Ichiro would create a logjam.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Why? Just ship Beltran away for Guerrero or something... with enough exit and reloads, you should be able to get him easily.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:50 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Ichiro Lands in the Big Apple

When fans of the Mariners think that Bavasi can't get any dumber, he does. Early this morning, Bavasi made a very Bavasi-like trade when he sent Ichiro Suzuki and Eric O'Flahtery to the Mets for Ryan Church and Nick Swisher. Mr. O'Flahtery wasn't excited about the trade at all, despite knowing he's been on the trading block for awhile.

"I have a family here in Seattle. I just bought a new house. I thought since nobody inquired about trading for me, I'd be safe... I was wrong." Eric told reporters. "I got phone call from Bill [Bavasi] in the morning. He said, 'have fun being a Mut.' I was astonished. I told my wife and she screamed. She's going to like living in New York and I'm sure my Credit Card Company will like me living in the Big Apple to." Eric was joking. "This is a fresh start for me. I've already got a role in the bullpen according to LaTroy, so I'm happy."

The trade which sends Ichiro Suzuki and Eric O'Flahtery to the Mets for Nick Swisher and Ryan Church is being categorized by some baseball analysts -- most notably Peter Gammons -- as one of the smartest moves the Mets' Front Office has made in recent years.

"Ichiro brings a new level and style of play to every club." Joe Morgan said, "He gets a lot of hits, so he can drive in Jose Reyes a ton." Morgan who was a special advisor to LaTroy during the trade also noted that LaTroy is a very bright man and that the Mets could contend for the playoffs year in and year out if they don't fire him. "He's a good, smart guy. If anybody can get the Mets a World Series win, it's him."

This is the second time since Steven LaTroy became the General Manager of New York that players have been shipped out of town. "I like this trade. It gives us needed bullpen talent and arguably one of the best right fielders in baseball. Ichiro can gun down runners trying to go from first to third or first to home. It doesn't matter. Also, I'd like to take the time to announce an other new member of our team. His name is Mr. Barry Bonds. Barry won't be a player, but he'll be our hitting instructor. Steroids or not, you have to know how to hit a ball to become a home run champ." LaTroy told the local press. Bonds, who is clouded by steroid allegations, is one of the worst people to have in the clubhouse, but he does know how to hit a ball. "Oh and before I forget," LaTroy said, "when I spoke with Bavasi, he was overjoyed to be dumping Ichiro on me. I don't know why... we have the fastest line up in the majors now, probably. Reyes, Ichiro, Beltran... I'd be surprised if the other team's catcher still has him when the game is done."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:34 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Blockbuster 101: Derek Lowe to Detroit

The Tigers and Dodgers have been engaged in a little wheeling and dealing. They have just concluded a trade with 30-year-old left fielder Marcus Thames going to Los Angeles in exchange for 34-year-old starting pitcher Derek Lowe.

Thames is hitting .241 during his 332-game career. He has 235 hits, 52 doubles, 2 triples, 63 home runs, 169 RBIs, 3 stolen bases and 147 runs scored.

Over the course of his career, Lowe has a won-lost record of 112 wins and 96 losses with 1128 strikeouts in 1729.1 innings pitched with a lifetime 3.81 ERA.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:52 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Chavez to Pittsburgh, Chavez to New York
ImageImage
(Endy Chavez is on the left, Jesse Chavez is on the right)

Rumor has it that the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Mets have finalized a deal which has two minor leaguers exchanging teams, although one won't be a minor leaguer for long. Endy Chavez and Jesse Chavez both expressed interest in leaving their club. Well, before they knew it, they were gone. Jesse Chavez told reporters he was "excited and filled with joy" when he got the call from his agent the other day.

"I started jumping up and down in Wal-Mart. It was really odd, but I was happy. Pittsburgh didn't want to win. I want to win though." Jesse told the Pittsburgh Gazette. He wasn't making friends with the locals, but that's really how he felt. "I feel I'm a top-class reliever and now I get to work with [Billy] Wagner. It's awesome and stuff." Jesse is expected to make an immediate impact in Triple-A for the Mets, and if all goes well, be called up before September.

The other Chavez, Endy, was also excited about being traded from New York. "Y'know... I enjoyed New York, I really did. I just didn't like the new GM, so I had to get out of there before things went south." Endy has a reputation as a speedster with excellent defense. "I'm excited I get to be a starter on a big league club though. They may not be the best one out there, but I think I can help turn the franchise around." Endy told Harold Renyolds of Major League Baseball Network.

Steven LaTroy was also asked his opinion of the trade. "I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if I didn't think it was worth shooting the gun." He told reporters. "Seriously. I'm not an idiot. I don't need someone asking me what I think of a trade that I negotiated every time I trade away a player. [Endy] came into my office and said he wanted to be traded. I said fine and got on the phone with the Pirates. My scouts kept telling me Jesse was a terrific reliever, so I pulled the trigger. He's a future bridge to O'Flahtery or a future closer. It doesn't matter."