Post subject: Played every game in the season
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Rockies
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Hey hey-

First off quick appreciation to the active guys answering questions and adding material to the wiki and what not. I've stopped over from time to time when I was curious about something or looking for tips and this board has always been helpful to the point of never really needing to post my own questions.

Anyways, I recently finished my first dream drafted season and like the title says, I played every game. Got my platinum ring and unlocked the pitching and batting changes. I poked through a couple logs, but wasn't sure if anyone else had played every game?

I played most of the season at the default settings so my guys stats were pretty insane. And playing most of the games just trying to beat my high score record resulted in my guys attributes being really inflated over the year. More than happy to post my team, year end stats, or beginning vs. ending player attributes.

Thanks again to everyone who makes this board such a great resource for the game.

Post subject: Re: Played every game in the season
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:03 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '08: Sony PS2
I've done both. I don't think there's really a difference between playing every game and "siming" until the playoffs start. Really, the only thing you miss out on is maybe the All-Star game and the amount of points you acquire/lose over a season.

Personally, I love playing almost each and every game--even on the hardest settings it's still somewhat challenging. I've still yet to pitch a perfect game with all the hardest settings enabled, and that's my ultimate goal.

Besides that, I also really enjoy the free agent signings at the beginning of the next season. You can occasionally pick up some really nice players at a bargain (e.g. Carl Crawford).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:32 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
Welcome Scud and thanks for the kind words about the board, feel free to post and be active and check out the new members thread located in the free for all forum.

And what was your record after 162 games, it mustve taken alot of time to play them and you mustve had a good record if you played every inning of every game

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Rockies
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Spe - The points accrual definitely gives you freedom to toss the money around a little more liberally. Especially knowing the bonuses that come in the playoffs. Right with you on the free agent thing though, only bat I added was Carl Crawford. Couldn't get a single guy to sign a multi year contract though.

Jacobye - I didn't lose. Never really close. Had a handful of saves of the season maybe. Like I said, was just trying to beat high scores on end of game points and total runs. Didn't give much to look forward to in this season though having won all the awards already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:31 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
The fact that I can't change setttings in-season has kept me from playing an entire season. Once I get to May I always have to increase them. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:43 am 
Starter
Starter

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Don't Own
I know you can't in '07, but I thought you could in '08.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:05 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Console '08: Sony PS2
Scud wrote:
Right with you on the free agent thing though, only bat I added was Carl Crawford. Couldn't get a single guy to sign a multi year contract though.

This has been better explained somewhere else on this forum, but when it comes to FA negotiations a lot of it has to do with how many other offers a player has.

The more offers they have, the more in demand they are, and the more you will want to make a high bid. That means paying a certain amount over their asking price. On the other hand, if you find a player who has zero offers, you can typically get away with setting the contract length (for example, 1 year versus 4) and price (I've offered guys $1 million when they're asking $10 mil. and they've occasionally taken it!).

Sometimes, though, even with your best offer on the table, the player will sign with another team or just resign with their current club.