All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yikes...some help please?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Just got the game on Wii for my birthday, and liking it a lot. Unfortunately I am a bit lost in season mode, I just started, and there is a lot that I can't seem to get info on. I'm sorry to give you guys a laundry list, but I didn't seem to find precisely what I was looking for on the wiki nor in the manual.

PRACTICE Questions

1) I read the explanation for practice, and I have been able to assign my players to certain tasks. Are there any that are useless and to be avoided?

2) How does the group workout dynamic work? I've assigned it, and while I'm only 10 games in, I have yet to see the relationship get better than blue, right where is started. How long should this take? I also understand that some will get along better than others, does that mean some players won't get along at all? Is there a cutoff in the timeline where you should just go, "hey they hate each other lets try someone else"?

3) Should the "veteran" be someone who is simply older, better (at the said area trying to improve), or needs to be both? Can a younger guy teach a player the same age? Does it even matter if one is better than the other, or is it more concerned with how well they work together?

4) What is the blue gauge mean? I can toggle it on and off...is that them learning, or fatigue, or....?

5) I know it is a bit redundant considering the first question, but what should I be training? I don't really understand the technique bit, so I'll ask for an explanation down below, but how long does it take to train these guys to upgrade a skill a point? Does it vary from say, improving stamina a letter grade to improving a pitch a level from 2 to 3. I've also noticed points don't exactly correlate to a letter improvement..how does that work? What is a good score for power? Also, should I just be letting these guys train constantly throughout the season?

TECHNIQUE

1) I somewhat understand it, if you have red stuff it is good, and these will be activated when your form is good, and the blue is when you feel like garbage. Is that correct?

2) How important are these, a lot of them seem cool, but are they big difference makers as far as performance?

3) If they are good, how long does it take players to learn these in training, and what should they be learning? Is there any way to void the negative blue ones or are you stuck with them? Do these take the same time as improving a pitch?

RANDOM Questions

1) In my season mode, I look at my roster and my pitchers have that grayed out emoticon, I assume this means they are dead tired? Will they naturally recuperate or do they need rest in the practice/training option as well? Does that bar mean energy...the one that fills up green?

2) I can't seem to get my pitchers to have a rotation. They turn to the swingmen to have starters and it seems as though I am running a 6 or even 7 man rotation, did I screw that up when I setup the roles? I had 5 starters, two swingmen, 2 middle relief, 1 mop up, 3 setup, and a closer. Is that a good combination or should that be changed?

3) Injuries, I just had one to a starter, and they recommended I place him on the 15 day DL, how do I do this? His icon was blacked out with a green smiley face next to it, but I couldn't select him to do anything.

4) Can I do more than one trade at a time? Or do I have to wait for the offer to come back until I make another? It seems that way right now, but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

5) When I am warming up a pitcher, I left him in the bullpen warming up, when I went to put him in the box was bright pink and flashing. Does that mean he was ready or over worked? Should I sit a pitcher down who has warmed up and looks nearly ready if I end up getting out of the inning and heading towards the bottom, and then throw him after? Will he lose all his warming up?

6) Is there a point to the baseball cards? Do they give a bonus or anything, or just something for fun?

7) What are "good" stats? I'm asking this in the general sense of what is the average player at, and what I know should be good. I have a decent sense of batters, but I'm a tad lost on pitchers. I understand stamina isn't that important for relievers, but what is acceptable for a starter? A "C" and anything above that is just an improvement on what is already good? Control I assume is important, but if a pitcher is a B in control and a B in stamina, with lets say a "4" pitch and two "3"'s, would that mean he is pretty good? If he is a B in control and C in stamina, is that good enough and I should be concentrating on his pitches instead?

8) Can pitchers learn new pitches? Should I ever mess with a players throwing motion or batting stance?

9) I want to thank Osfan81 for answering my question about what E RES was on the 2K forums and directing me here.

Thank you to anyone who replies and can help me. I know that is quite a bit to ask, but these have been buzzing in my head for the last 48 hours.

Post subject: Re: Yikes...some help please?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
I'm sure other people are answering the other questions so I'll do random questions

1.) yes they are dead tired. It takes them a few days to go back to normal but it's either 4-6 days. Depends on how long they pitched

2) go to roles and put them into a rotation, it's better off for you to have a B stamina pitcher in the bullpen, the only way the rotation goes as planned are off days

3) that's wired. Go 2 transactions bs the injury info to see hoe long he's out and make a AAA switch if it's needed

4) you have to wait for the trade to go through or fail to make a new trade

5) there is no real bullpen, just put a pitcher in and out. Well for season at least. As for the faces, Bright pink means that they'll do better and throw faster, Red is 2nd best thing, yellow is normal, blue is 2nd worse, purple is the worst. It's a scale

6) Just for fun

7) A and B are what you want, A is really good though. If they have C or B then do stamina practice and buy stamina spikes. C and D won't bring you far and B stamina starts at 110
D control-A stamina is good(A control is very rare)
Offense is a whole different story depending on abilities but D is average

8.) In spring training(after every year) you can learn pitches, convert positions and change batting and pitching stances. It's in the practice menu

I hope I helped a little. I didn't make it very instructive but there's not much I can do with writing this with a phone which is hard

remember these are the random questions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '08: Sony PS2
Well if you want to shorten how long your starts are "grayed out" I reccomend doing one or two things.

#1. But all your starters in the rest section for practice. It helps recover recover "green bar points" more quickly

#2. Have a 6 man rotation. I am a firm beliver that if you have a 6 man rotation you don't need a swingman.

"You know the key to running a convicing bluff? Its, every once in a while, you've got to be holding all the cards."
-Ian, to Ben, in National Treasure

"Not all leader are elected, Finn. Some just rise to the occassion."
-Wayne, to Finn, in the book Kingdom Keepers II by Ridley Pearson

LET'S GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
#3) If a pitcher gets injured for over 15 days, he will automatically be put in the minor leagues. The green face means he's injured.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Ok i have some time on my hands finally so I'll do my best with this

cjofucfame wrote:
PRACTICE Questions

1) I read the explanation for practice, and I have been able to assign my players to certain tasks. Are there any that are useless and to be avoided?

2) How does the group workout dynamic work? I've assigned it, and while I'm only 10 games in, I have yet to see the relationship get better than blue, right where is started. How long should this take? I also understand that some will get along better than others, does that mean some players won't get along at all? Is there a cutoff in the timeline where you should just go, "hey they hate each other lets try someone else"?

3) Should the "veteran" be someone who is simply older, better (at the said area trying to improve), or needs to be both? Can a younger guy teach a player the same age? Does it even matter if one is better than the other, or is it more concerned with how well they work together?

4) What is the blue gauge mean? I can toggle it on and off...is that them learning, or fatigue, or....?

5) I know it is a bit redundant considering the first question, but what should I be training? I don't really understand the technique bit, so I'll ask for an explanation down below, but how long does it take to train these guys to upgrade a skill a point? Does it vary from say, improving stamina a letter grade to improving a pitch a level from 2 to 3. I've also noticed points don't exactly correlate to a letter improvement..how does that work? What is a good score for power? Also, should I just be letting these guys train constantly throughout the season

1.) I kind of find fitness and rehab to be useless unless a player is tired of injured. But batting is a slow way to get power and contact at the same time and it would be faster to do it seperatly. Buy things at the shop(look at the wiki for miore details) and practices will go faster

2.) It takes a good while to work, I think that it just works better when they have better relationships.

3.) I guess you should just go with who has the better experience

4.) The blue box is fatigue which affects how players play and the mood they're in(pink being best, purple worse) the higher it is, the more fatigued they are

5.) Those are the abilties, they're not letter grades. Good power is 140(B) to 180 +(A), but trajectory also factors in because a guy with B or A power aren't very useful with 1 trj. And C power and 4 trajectory(trj) can also hit homeruns alot. You'll learn as you go. and yes you should train them through the whole season unless a player is constantly with Blue or a purple face.

cjofucfame wrote:
TECHNIQUE

1) I somewhat understand it, if you have red stuff it is good, and these will be activated when your form is good, and the blue is when you feel like garbage. Is that correct?

2) How important are these, a lot of them seem cool, but are they big difference makers as far as performance?

3) If they are good, how long does it take players to learn these in training, and what should they be learning? Is there any way to void the negative blue ones or are you stuck with them? Do these take the same time as improving a pitch?

1.) yep. But Pink is the one thing better than red and Purple is the one thing worse than blue. But the other two faces to watch out for are the gray face(only for pitchers who just had a start recently) and green which means injured.

2.) Yes they are big difference makers. With pink, you can almost always hit a homerun with a good player and the balls FLY off the bat and other way around for purple and blue, red is also very good and yellow is just normal. For pitching, the better you are the better your breaking balls are, the longer the pitcher will go and the faster they pitch and vice versa. You'll usuallt get beat around witt purple and you suddenly strike out a ton of batters with pink, well if you do fast game at least

3.) they are never the same through a season. If they're in a slump then they're usually blue or purple and if they're on a tear, then they're red and pink. when hitters are sad, then sit them down a few days and put the other players in. I guess you can just put them in rehab or fitness if they're sad, you can check with the blue bar. the more filled up it is, the more fatigued they are

cjofucfame wrote:
RANDOM Questions

1) In my season mode, I look at my roster and my pitchers have that grayed out emoticon, I assume this means they are dead tired? Will they naturally recuperate or do they need rest in the practice/training option as well? Does that bar mean energy...the one that fills up green?

2) I can't seem to get my pitchers to have a rotation. They turn to the swingmen to have starters and it seems as though I am running a 6 or even 7 man rotation, did I screw that up when I setup the roles? I had 5 starters, two swingmen, 2 middle relief, 1 mop up, 3 setup, and a closer. Is that a good combination or should that be changed?

3) Injuries, I just had one to a starter, and they recommended I place him on the 15 day DL, how do I do this? His icon was blacked out with a green smiley face next to it, but I couldn't select him to do anything.

4) Can I do more than one trade at a time? Or do I have to wait for the offer to come back until I make another? It seems that way right now, but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

5) When I am warming up a pitcher, I left him in the bullpen warming up, when I went to put him in the box was bright pink and flashing. Does that mean he was ready or over worked? Should I sit a pitcher down who has warmed up and looks nearly ready if I end up getting out of the inning and heading towards the bottom, and then throw him after? Will he lose all his warming up?

6) Is there a point to the baseball cards? Do they give a bonus or anything, or just something for fun?

7) What are "good" stats? I'm asking this in the general sense of what is the average player at, and what I know should be good. I have a decent sense of batters, but I'm a tad lost on pitchers. I understand stamina isn't that important for relievers, but what is acceptable for a starter? A "C" and anything above that is just an improvement on what is already good? Control I assume is important, but if a pitcher is a B in control and a B in stamina, with lets say a "4" pitch and two "3"'s, would that mean he is pretty good? If he is a B in control and C in stamina, is that good enough and I should be concentrating on his pitches instead?

Can pitchers learn new pitches? Should I ever mess with a players throwing motion or batting stance?

9) I want to thank Osfan81 for answering my question about what E RES was on the 2K forums and directing me here.

1.) yes they are dead tired. It takes them a few days to go back to normal but it's either 4-6 days. Depends on how long they pitched

2) go to roles and put them into a rotation, it's better off for you to have a B stamina pitcher in the bullpen, the only way the rotation goes as planned are off days

3) that's wired. Go 2 transactions bs the injury info to see hoe long he's out and make a AAA switch if it's needed

4) you have to wait for the trade to go through or fail to make a new trade

5) there is no real bullpen, just put a pitcher in and out. Well for season at least. As for the faces, Bright pink means that they'll do better and throw faster, Red is 2nd best thing, yellow is normal, blue is 2nd worse, purple is the worst. It's a scale

6) Just for fun

7) A and B are what you want, A is really good though. If they have C or B then do stamina practice and buy stamina spikes. C and D won't bring you far and B stamina starts at 110
D control-A stamina is good(A control is very rare)
Offense is a whole different story depending on abilities but D is average

8.) In spring training(after every year) you can learn pitches, convert positions and change batting and pitching stances. It's in the practice menu

Well I did my best, enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I suggest you turn off the "warm up pitcher" option (or whatever it's called). There are just too many issues and it interupts the otherwise quick pace of the game. A quick 1-2-3 inning won't give your reliever enough time to warm up and a long inning will wear your reliever out. If you could visit the mound to give a reliever more time to warm up, or if the reliever had the wherewithall to slow down his warmup and conserve energy during a long inning, then it might be OK.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for all the help, that helped ease up a bit. I have a few more questions but I had a wedding to go to for a week and am just turning on the game! I'm sure they may pop up as I play, but this answered nearly all of them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

1. All players faces always go up and down autimatically, if their face is dead theyre at the worst they can play. it has nothing to do with playing them too much or anything. It goes up till it reaches the best face then goes down to lowest back up to highest etc. over and over again throught the careers

Best moment ever

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

How do I get pitchers to hit their max speed? Even when they seem to be in perfect condition and their smiley is bouncing off the wall, I can't get Zumaya over 97 and I tried Verlanders fastball and can't get it above 93.

Is there a trick to make them throw faster that I don't realize? I'm still getting a ton of strikeouts but when I wanted to throw a heater I was surprised it was so slow.

For hitting, is there a way to pull to a certain field? Or is it all in the timing of the hit and the individual hitter? I notice I hit a lot of stuff right up the middle, and every once in a while it might go to a different field. I'm still effective but wondering if there is more control available and maybe I can aim for a short porch in right field, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

cjofucfame wrote:
How do I get pitchers to hit their max speed? Even when they seem to be in perfect condition and their smiley is bouncing off the wall, I can't get Zumaya over 97 and I tried Verlanders fastball and can't get it above 93.

thats somewhat of a flaw in this game. the only way you can get it close is if:
A- your player has a red or happy pinnk face, that makes it higher
B- if you keep tapping A then you can get it higher and sometimes get to the max speed if you have the pink face. But I warn you that it tires out pitchers, its like in real life where relief pitchers can throw fast every time but starters have to preserve it or they get tired

cjofucfame wrote:
For hitting, is there a way to pull to a certain field? Or is it all in the timing of the hit and the individual hitter? I notice I hit a lot of stuff right up the middle, and every once in a while it might go to a different field. I'm still effective but wondering if there is more control available and maybe I can aim for a short porch in right field, etc.

its like in real life, if you're late on the pitch it will go opposite field usually and if you swing early you'll be able to pull it
Also its easier to pull a pitch if its inside and its easier to go the other way with an outside pitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
jacobye46 wrote:
cjofucfame wrote:

if you keep tapping A then you can get it higher and sometimes get to the max speed if you have the pink face. But I warn you that it tires out pitchers, its like in real life where relief pitchers can throw fast every time but starters have to preserve it or they get tired

Don't forget, in 2008 tapping A button will cause your pitcher to lose some control. In 2007 this is not the case.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

For hitting if your player has pull hitter, spray hitter, or push hitter he will hit it to different parts of the field more often

Best moment ever

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

oh ya I forgot about that, thats important too

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:09 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Mets
If a pitcher has the "Fastball Life" ability then he will throw near his maximum speed more often. So if a pitcher has a 96 MPH fastball max, he may usually only throw around 92 or 93, but if he has Fastball Life then he will throw around 95 and 96 more often.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:17 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

thats something else I missed. my power pros IQ is down these days :cry: