PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
A few questions for all of you guys who have played multiple seasons:

1) Do the players acquired in the draft with 5-star potential improve faster than players with 4-star potential, etc?

2) How good can a drafted player get? And how quickly? Say, a hitter with mostly E's and F's ~or~ a pitcher with C or D command and a couple of Lvl 2 breaking pitches. Do any of them become HOF caliber superstars?

3) Do younger players improve faster than older players? Do older players regress? At what age?

Post subject: Re: Rate of Player Improvement
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:40 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Older players do regress. As for the age, they regress around 33-35 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:06 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
My drafted players have a tendency to train up huge breaking balls, but their control and stamina are always very slow. Prime example for me is a guy who after 3 years, has 4 H-SLD 5 CB 4 FORK but only 91 mph E control C stamina and always gets rocked.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: White Sox
Whoops, thought it was a different topic.

If you are asking about draft, I usually (depending on how far I am in my season mode) draft different ways.

If you are more than 5 years in, draft the most talented, not the most going to be good in 3 years player.

And if there is a player who is "highly skilled will help a team out a lot" draft him.

Most strikeouts in a single 9 inning game-22
Perfect games pitched-4

Last edited by Sparkplug15 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:50 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Rays
Eric Davis 44 wrote:
A few questions for all of you guys who have played multiple seasons:

1) Do the players acquired in the draft with 5-star potential improve faster than players with 4-star potential, etc?

2) How good can a drafted player get? And how quickly? Say, a hitter with mostly E's and F's ~or~ a pitcher with C or D command and a couple of Lvl 2 breaking pitches. Do any of them become HOF caliber superstars?

3) Do younger players improve faster than older players? Do older players regress? At what age?

I have played through a 10 year season mode just to see how draftees would improve and did many different senarios.

To answer your questions:

1) I personally did not see much significant difference from a 5-star potential player improve faster than a 4-star potential. I did see much more different in a 5-star potential player improve faster than a 1, 2, or 3 stars. Usually 1 star potential is the 27, 28 year olds or the players that have many G's and a few F's. I wasn't able to improve them much.

2) dratfed players always took time to build up. But it's possible to get mostly any drafted player up to be a serviceable major league ballplayer. It depends on how quickly you can build them up. There are many variabless. For example: Are you using a power control ball? If you use the very best, then you will be able to get them built up very quickly, I would say 1-2 years If you don't use anything, then it will take longer (probably more like real time). But if you use spring training to your full advantage, then yes, you get excellent players. If you wanted a better experience, I would use no equuipment that make practicing more effiecent as it will be more like real life as I said above. It is possilble to make a draftee into a HOF caliber player, especially if you draft a young shortstop or young great player (at any position). It will just take time to get them to the B's and A's.

3) I cannot say that younger players progress faster than older. I mean, in the end if you draft a 21 year old with all F's and a 28 year old with all F's, the younger player would grow into the better player beacause he has more time to improve. Old players do regress. I can't say an exact age beacause in my season mode, John Smoltz was 43 and still had the same stats. While after just one year in season mode, Randy Johnson regressed to the point I had to release him. However if I had to pick an agre, I would probably say that many players start to regress after the age of 35.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3276

It's going to be great!!!

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out if I should make the top organizational prospects mirror the kind of players available in the draft or if they should be better right from the start. For example, guys like Justin Upton, Evan Longoria, Matt Wieters, Pablo Sandoval, Tim Lincecum, Tommy Hanson, etc. are rare but they exist in real life. Yet, those kids of players aren't available in the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:36 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Rays
Eric Davis 44 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out if I should make the top organizational prospects mirror the kind of players available in the draft or if they should be better right from the start. For example, guys like Justin Upton, Evan Longoria, Matt Wieters, Pablo Sandoval, Tim Lincecum, Tommy Hanson, etc. are rare but they exist in real life. Yet, those kids of players aren't available in the draft.

I would make them better right from the start personally, beacause players don't improve that much when on computer teams.

Well, an unedited Justin Upton would be available, so would an Evan Longoria although they would be rare and unlikely.

The best players in the draft are always shortstops.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3276

It's going to be great!!!

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294