All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chanages this year
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:34 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Season mode is harder this year. I've noticed a few things:

1) Your draft players will always suck. They are no good. Maybe, after 5 years, you can make them into a workable player, but with 10 year seasons there is no point, unless you save your team to arrange mode and then start over again (in this way you can do unlimited seasons). So - don't count on the draft for anything after the 2nd or 3rd year.

2) Pitching is easy to come by. Teams seem to value every day players and not pitching at all. You can easily get good, young pitchers in trades that have multiple years until free agency for a poor, all E's catcher or similar player. And, if you have a shitty player (all E's ) who is hitting .300 for some reason - you can get rid of him easily. Abilities don't seem to translate into stats as much this year as last year.

3) Power stats are low, but you CAN actually draft a player with a high C in power (138 is my highest power draft). They usually have nothing else, however. I've never drafted a player with a 4 TRAJ yet. In fact, there aren't many players with 4TRAJ in the whole game.

4) Free-agency is the only real way to build a team quickly in this game. You have to find players you can live with. There aren't many players filled with B's and A's like there was last year. You need to decide (more often than not) whether you want a power bat or good fielding. Finding both is usually rare. If you have a power player, sign him to multiple years - because you will have a hard time finding another. You have to think more about finding a position you would like to have a specialty in, and have 2-3 franchise players. At least, I've had a hard time filling my team up wtih franchise players this year.

5) The computer seems to be retarted when it comes to setting your lineups. I always have to switch everything around after spring training. They will put your best players in AAA, and your worst as starters. Lame. At least last year you only had to move 1-2 players around, this year it's the whole lineup.

6) The simming is super fast this year. I still hate the fact that it says 'the player improved' or 'there has been a trade offer made' without telling you who/what/etc. But, you can sim a season in less than 10 minutes if you just leave it. Much better than last year.

Post subject: Re: Chanages this year
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
I remember last year if I simmed a season I would play Mario Kart while I was waiting for the Simulation to complete.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:46 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
lol i was watching a yankee and red sox game on espn while waiting the inning finished n the season was over :)

Success Players

Tony Pena (SP)
Stetter (CP)
Kevin Frandsen (3B)
O'Flaherty (1B)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:43 am 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Rays
That is not true, some of draft picks don't suck.

I once got someone named Echevarri. His fastball has distinct movement so i suspect Gyroball. 98 MPH FB. A 4 Sld a 5 Fork 4 Slv and a 4 Cut. I think that's really good if you ask me.

I think that the Fielders suck. You can occasionally find a D.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3276

It's going to be great!!!

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Don't Own
I got a CF name Palacio. I think his his contact power and run speed are C's Fld and arm strength D and Error resistance E