Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This subforum is strictly for the creation of self-made works of our members.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Round 2 | an OOTP 18 Log
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:58 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
After an up-and-down year in 2017, Finn Fletcher and the Rangers are back for another round in 2018.

The Rangers finished 78-84 last year, missing the playoffs and finishing fourth in the American League West division. After the season, they let some veterans walk, including outfielders Carlos Gomez and Curtis Granderson (a mid-season trade acquisition) and pitchers A.J. Griffin, Zach Putnam, Dillon Gee, and Jake Diekman. However, several key players were signed to long-term extensions, including ace Yu Darvish, catcher Jonathan Lucroy, third baseman Adrian Beltre, and right fielder Nomar Mazara.

Fletcher was busy in the offseason overhauling the roster, signing several free agents to improve the team’s depth. Lefty reliever Jerry Blevins (2 years, $12.2 million) was the highest-profile free agent signing, but other additions included relievers Tayron Guerrero, Wandy Peralta, and Brandon McCarthy, utility player Alexi Amarista, outfielder Drew Stubbs, and first baseman/left fielder O’Koyea Dickson (added via the Rule 5 draft). Of those seven players, three made the Opening Day roster, with Dickson being traded back to the Dodgers, his original team, and the others sent down or designated for assignment before the season.

The team’s Opening Day roster is as follows (2017 stats in parentheses):

Starting Rotation

RHP Yu Darvish (10-6, 3.77)
LHP Cole Hamels (7-14, 5.39)
LHP Martin Perez (7-11, 4.44)
RHP Andrew Cashner (8-6, 4.43)
LHP Yohander Mendez (4-1, 4.37; #51 prospect in MLB)

Bullpen

RHP Sam Dyson (6-7, 27 saves, 2.95; tabbed as closer)
LHP Alex Claudio (6-4, 2 saves, 3.56)
LHP Jerry Blevins (2-1, 3.74 with NYM/CLE)
RHP Keone Kela (2-0, 2 saves, 2.70)
RHP Tony Barnette (1-1, 2.16)
RHP Matt Bush (4-2, 3 saves, 3.83)
RHP Tayron Guerrero (AA stats with MIA: 2-4, 5 saves, 3.30)

Starting Lineup

DH Shin-Soo Choo (.237/.332/.371)
1B Eric Hosmer (.300/.379/.484 between KC and TEX; Gold Glove winner at first base)
3B Adrian Beltre (.322/.374/.492)
CF Joey Gallo (.224/.333/.459)
RF Nomar Mazara (.304/.369/.530)
2B Rougned Odor (.284/.307/.502)
C Jonathan Lucroy (.281/.347/.411)
SS Elvis Andrus (.282/.326/.393)
LF Delino DeShields (.259/.326/.387)

Bench

C Robinson Chirinos (.246/.326/.524)
INF Max Muncy (AAA stats: .199/.290/.342)
INF Hanser Alberto (.274/.298/.419)
OF Drew Stubbs (.223/.308/.425 with MIN)

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

Post subject: Re: Round 2 | an OOTP 18 Log
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:05 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Forgot to mention this earlier, but the NL has officially adopted the DH starting with the 2018 season, so yeah

I have a bunch of updates ready (and still working on more) so expect those soon! Just trying to space things out a little bit :)

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:06 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Today we’ll take a look at the Rangers’ farm system. Despite many young players being elevated to the majors or traded away in the last two seasons, Texas still boasts a strong minor-league system, ranking 13th overall.

Five Rangers farmhands were listed in MLB’s official Top 100 Prospects list, with an additional four cracking the top 200. These players are:

RHP Ariel Jurado (20th) — Jurado is set to begin the year in Triple-A after putting up big numbers at both Frisco and Round Rock last year. He made a late cameo in Arlington, putting up a 1-1 record and 6.06 ERA in 6 starts, but is a very highly regarded starter. Jurado’s specialty is his bowling-ball sinker, which gets him a lot of ground balls; he struggled to command the pitch in the bigs last year, allowing 7 home runs in 35.2 innings pitched.

LHP Yohander Mendez (51st) — Mendez will begin the year as the Rangers’ #5 starter after showing promise in a late-season cameo (8 starts, 4-1 with a 4.37 ERA). Mendez’s best pitch is his changeup, though he is still working to improve his command of the strike zone.

RHP Michael Matuella (55th) — Matuella only made 4 starts for Spokane (A-) last year before going down with a shoulder injury that turned out to be a season-ending labrum tear. He is back healthy and will begin the year in Spokane’s rotation again. He posted good strikeout numbers, but struggled a bit with walks in his limited innings last year (13:8 K/BB in 9.2 innings).

LF Scott Heineman (64th) — Heineman played primarily left field last year, but also showed the ability to play center field in a pinch. He made it all the way from High-A to Triple-A in 2017, and will begin the year back at Round Rock, where he hit an impressive .323/.380/.600 in 20 games last year. Heineman is a well-rounded player who profiles as a fourth outfielder or platoon bat.

CF Leodys Taveras (75th) — Taveras was impressive in the DSL last year, slashing .352/.408/.489 before being promoted to the AZL and hitting .242/.301/.326 in 24 games. He is still very young (19) and raw, but will begin the year with Spokane, hoping to refine his offensive game. Taveras was an excellent defender in center field in 2017, and profiles as a possible future star.

INF Josh Morgan (107th) — Morgan made an impressive debut last year, hitting .387/.457/.484 in 11 games of action. He will begin 2017 with Round Rock, where he will again showcase his terrific defense at the hot corner. Morgan also played some shortstop and second base in 2017 in hopes to improve his versatility, but he is seen as only an adequate defender at short, and has very limited experience at the keystone.

RHP Alex Speas (154th) — Speas pitched well for Spokane in 2017, posting a 2.19 ERA in 11 starts, but struggled when promoted to Hickory, making 4 starts with a 11.30 ERA. His peripherals were strong, though, and Speas will begin the year in the Down East rotation. Speas has good stuff, but will need to improve his control and command to be a useful starter.

SS Anderson A. Tejeda (156th) — Tejeda struggled with the bat in 2017, hitting just .218/.258/.270 in 70 games. He was below-average defensively, and may need to move off of shortstop to keep moving up the ladder. Tejeda, who is still just 19 years old, will need to figure things out on both sides of the ball, but has plenty of time.

CF Jose Cardona (199th) — Cardona split time between three levels in 2017, making it all the way to Triple-A where he impressed in just 8 at-bats. He struggled defensively with the Wood Ducks, but picked it up in Frisco after a promotion.

Other Prospects:

The Texas farm system has many other prospects to watch. The organization thinks very highly of catcher Jose Trevino, a polished defender who will start the year at Triple-A after hitting .257/.307/.363 in 46 games at Frisco last year.

Other prospects include:

1B Ronald Guzman, AAA (.203/.276/.391 in 20 games at Triple-A)
INF Juremi Profar, AAA (.231/.311/.477 in 20 games at Triple-A)
RHP Jonathan Hernandez, A+ (8-9, 3.62 in 28 starts at Single-A)
2B Andy Ibanez, AAA (.215/.278/.356 in 54 games at Triple-A)
LHP Brett Martin, AA (3-2, 2.86 in 11 starts at High-A)
CF Eric Jenkins, AAA (.265/.315/.338 in 19 games at Double-A)
RHP Pedro Payano, AA (7-7, 3.90 in 27 starts at High-A)
SS/2B Michael De Leon, AAA (.223/.278/.325 in 45 games at Double-A)
RF Jairo Beras, AAA (.194/.275/.431 in 19 games at Double-A)
1B Ben Miller, A+ (.403/.465/.701 in 20 games at Single-A; 21st-round pick in 2017)
3B Hunter Alexander, A+ (.296/.337/.519 in 19 games at Single-A; 12th-round pick in 2017)
RHP Blake Bass, A+ (3-1, 24 saves, 1.21 in Single-A)
OF Craig Dedelow, A (.333/.369/.583 in 15 games in Low-A; 13th-round pick in 2017)

The team is very high on its 2017 draft class, with Miller and Alexander among its quickest movers (each spent time at three levels in 2017).

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 9, 2018

Houston Astros (0-0) at Texas Rangers (0-0)

Matchup: LHP Dallas Keuchel (15-10, 3.45 in 2017) vs. RHP Yu Darvish (10-6, 3.77 in 2017)

Game Recap

The Rangers were able to pounce on Dallas Keuchel early, and three players hit home runs in an impressive 7-4 victory on Opening Day. Keuchel (0-1) was unable to make it out of the fifth inning, allowing six earned runs on eight hits and one walk against four strikeouts in 4.1 innings pitched. Keuchel got most of his outs on the ground, but also coughed up two long balls to Adrian Beltre and Nomar Mazara. Joey Gallo added a solo shot of his own in the eighth to seal the win. Yu Darvish (1-0) recorded a quality start, allowing four runs (three earned) on eight hits and two walks against four Ks in six innings. Sam Dyson pitched a perfect ninth for his first save of the season.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— OF/1B Andrew Lambo cleared waivers and was assigned outright to Round Rock (AAA).
— RHP Brandon McCarthy has been traded to Baltimore, along with C Alex Burg, in exchange for cash. The amount received is said to be “significant” according to team sources.
— C Steven Lerud was reassigned from Round Rock (AAA) to Frisco (AA).

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:55 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 10, 2018

Houston Astros (0-1) at Texas Rangers (1-0)

Matchup: RHP Lance McCullers Jr. (12-11, 4.46 in 2017) vs. LHP Cole Hamels (7-14, 5.39 in 2017)

Game Recap

Holy *(censored)* shit. Nomar Mazara, y’all.

15-14, Rangers. Ten innings. Nomar *(censored)*’ Mazara with the cycle and the walk-off hit.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— Nomar Mazara was named president of the entire goddamn world.
— Mazara is currently on pace for 43.3 WAR lmao what the *(censored)*
— Cole Hamels is currently on pace for -10.6 WAR lmao what the *(censored)*
— put in a claim for Dalton Pompey, because why not try to acquire young, talented players for cheap

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 11, 2018

Houston Astros (0-2) at Texas Rangers (2-0)

Matchup: RHP Collin McHugh (11-7, 4.42 in 2017) vs. LHP Martin Perez (7-11, 4.44 in 2017)

Game Recap

The Rangers could not overcome a poor performance from Martin Perez, and took their first loss of the season by the score of 9-3 Wednesday night. Perez (0-1) only lasted five innings, allowing a leadoff home run to Jose Altuve in the sixth before being pulled. His counterpart, Houston right-hander Collin McHugh, pitched eight-plus innings allowing just three runs and striking out nine. Two of those three runs came in the ninth inning, when a visibly fatigued McHugh (1-0) allowed back-to-back home runs to Nomar Mazara and Rougned Odor (who combined for all of Texas’s five hits on the day). Albert Pujols was named player of the game after going 2 for 3 with a home run on the day. “A great team win and something real postiive we can build on,” was the quote offered by Pujols to an assembled crowd of media.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— RHP Tayron Guerrero was optioned to Round Rock (AAA). RHP Preston Claiborne was recalled in his place.
— The game scheduled for tomorrow (April 12) has been postponed, and will be played as part of a doubleheader on May 14.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:10 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 13, 2018

Texas Rangers (2-1) at Oakland Athletics (1-2)

Matchup: RHP Andrew Cashner (8-6, 4.43 in 2017) vs. RHP Kendall Graveman (8-14, 6.15 in 2017)

Game Recap

Jake Smolinski hit the go-ahead single in the seventh, finishing 2 for 3 with a home run, and the Oakland Athletics took home a 5-3 win over Texas. Andrew Cashner (0-1) pitched well until the seventh inning, where he allowed the crucial two runs that gave Oakland the lead. For the day, Cashner finished with 5 runs allowed over 7.1 innings pitched. Against him, Oakland righty Kendall Graveman went six innings allowing three runs in a no-decision. Liam Hendriks (1-0) recorded the win in relief.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— SS Elvis Andrus received a routine day off after going 1 for his first 11, but will be back in the lineup tomorrow.
— OF Dalton Pompey has been claimed on waivers from Toronto. He will meet the team in Oakland for tomorrow’s game. INF Max Muncy (0 for 2) was optioned to Round Rock (AAA) to make room on the 25-man roster.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:05 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 14, 2018

Texas Rangers (2-2) at Oakland Athletics (2-2)

Matchup: LHP Yohander Mendez (4-1, 4.37 in 2017) vs. RHP Frankie Montas (1-6, 4.74 in 2017)

Game Recap

Oakland hit three homers off of rookie starter Yohander Mendez to power them to a 5-3 win Saturday night. Home runs from Jake Smolinski and Matt Olson in the first inning gave the A’s a 3-0 lead, and a solo shot by Khris Davis broke a 3-3 tie in the sixth. For his part, Mendez (0-1) did well to control the damage, allowing four runs over seven solid innings. Frankie Montas (1-0) took the win in his first start of the year, going six innings and giving up three runs.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— Delino DeShields got a routine day off, and Jonathan Lucroy got a half-day of rest as the DH for tonight’s game. Shin-Soo Choo moved into left field in DeShields’ place, with Robinson Chirinos taking over as the catcher.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Yay, go A's!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:37 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

ZeroGibson13 wrote:
Yay, go A's!!!!!!

a very disproportionate amount of their production the last 2 games has come from former Rangers (Smolinski and Profar) and I'm not here for it

stay tuned tomorrow(ish) to see if we avoid the sweep, or if my laptop pulls some bullshit and crashes just as I'm about to win!!!!!!1!!! (not that I've already played the game or anything lmao)

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:14 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 15, 2018

Texas Rangers (2-3) at Oakland Athletics (3-2)

Matchup: RHP Yu Darvish (1-0, 4.50) vs. RHP Sonny Gray (1-0, 4.91)

Game Recap

y’all Sonny Gray no-hit us through 6.2 innings

also Yu Darvish *(censored)* up his shoulder

shit’s brutal

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— In the first playthrough of this game, we went to 10 innings, and just after taking a 6-5 lead, the game crashed.
— Recently-acquired outfielder Dalton Pompey made his Rangers debut in the ninth inning, recording a single as a pinch-hitter.
— Yu Darvish (rotator cuff strain) is expected to miss a minimum of 8-9 weeks, and has been placed on the 10-day disabled list. RHP Preston Claiborne was also optioned to Round Rock (AAA). Right-handers Tayron Guerrero and Jose Leclerc were recalled from Round Rock. It is unclear who will replace Darvish in the rotation, though with an off day Tuesday, the team has a bit of extra time to make a decision.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:35 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 16, 2018

Texas Rangers (2-4) at Kansas City Royals (2-4)

Matchup: LHP Cole Hamels (0-0, 16.20) vs. RHP Chris Tillman (0-0, 9.00)

Game Recap

Despite their best efforts, the Rangers could not overcome another shitty-ass start from Cole Hamels. Nomar Mazara continues to be impossible to get out, he actually tied the team record with 4 walks in today’s game.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— For some reason, we have an off day tomorrow, followed by two more games in Kansas City.
— RHP Jose Leclerc was optioned to Round Rock, with INF/OF Alexi Amarista recalled to the major leagues.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 18, 2018

Texas Rangers (2-5) at Kansas City Royals (3-4)

Matchup: LHP Martin Perez (0-1, 14.40) vs. LHP Matt Strahm (0-1, 33.75)

Game Recap

Joey Gallo hit two home runs, including a 510-foot bomb in the eighth, and we actually *(censored)* won a game for once.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— Utilityman Alexi Amarista made his team debut, coming on in the seventh inning for Elvis Andrus. The substitution seemed like any other late-game replacement at first, but after the game, Finn Fletcher announced that Andrus had suffered a torn quadriceps and would miss roughly a month of time with the injury.
— In related news, Andrus was placed on the 10-day DL. Righty Jose Leclerc was called up to take his place. Fletcher said that Amarista and Hanser Alberto will be deployed in some combination to take over shortstop for the short-term, with a possible reinforcement arriving from the minors later in the week.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 19, 2018

Texas Rangers (3-5) at Kansas City Royals (3-5)

Matchup: RHP Andrew Cashner (0-1, 6.14) vs. RHP Nathan Karns (0-0, 9.00)

Game Recap

Led by the dynamic duo of Nomar Mazara and Rougned Odor, the Rangers slugged their way to a 6-4 victory over Kansas City. Mazara was 4 for 5 with a double and a home run, Odor was 3 for 4, and teammates Jonathan Lucroy and Drew Stubbs added a homer each — Stubbs’ being an inside-the-park shot in the fifth — to shoulder the load offensively. Andrew Cashner (1-1) went seven strong, allowing four runs (all earned).

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— Finn Fletcher said that he is still unsure who will start Saturday’s game. Round Rock’s scheduled starter for Saturday is left-hander Joe Palumbo, who is not on the 40-man roster and is not generally viewed as ready for big-league action. Fletcher said he has considered the possibility of a “bullpen game” depending on how Friday’s game goes. It is unclear who will be the long-term replacement for Yu Darvish in the team’s rotation.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:36 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

April 20, 2018 (nice)

Los Angeles Angels (5-5) at Texas Rangers (4-5)

Matchup: RHP Matt Shoemaker (1-0, 3.00) vs. LHP Yohander Mendez (0-1, 5.14)

Game Recap

Drew Stubbs went 4 for 6, Alexi Amarista hit the go-ahead double, and the Rangers took a 12-5 win over Los Angeles in the first matchup between the two A.L. West rivals Friday night. Stubbs, one of several Rangers hitters off to scorching starts, led off and went 4 for 6, including a late home run to provide another insurance run. Amarista, filling in for injured shortstop Elvis Andrus, hit ninth and was 2 for 5, including a two-run double in the fifth inning to give Texas a 7-5 lead.

Box Score

Postgame Notes

— RHP Tayron Guerrero was optioned to Round Rock. The contract of left-hander Wandy Peralta was purchased from the same.
— Finn Fletcher told media he still is unsure who will start tomorrow’s game, but it will be a “bullpen game” with several relievers expected to go 1-2 innings, if not more.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next