Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Is there any infos on what pitches belong to each family?
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:50 am 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
baka_tenshi wrote:
Is there any infos on what pitches belong to each family?
:roll:

It's just a word I made up to group breaking ball types based on their direction.

For example Vertical Slider is a downward pitch so it belongs in the Changeup Family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:20 am 
Rookie
Rookie

odawali,

I'm a noob on baseball.
What's the difference btwn sinker and sinking fastball?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:30 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Here's a decent starting reference for pitch types: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Pitches

The direction of the pitches gives a clue as to the difference. The SIFB is a pitch that moves mostly horizontal, kind of like a reverse cutter, whereas the SNK is more of a combination of horizontal and vertical movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:38 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Here's something I learned which maybe should have been obvious.
If you want a slow, slow curve, don't max it out to level seven. It practically ruined my original pitch. Level 4 would probably be ideal with a few dad upgrades.

Post subject: Re: Dad's training
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
I have no read through all of the posts in this thread, and not playing the game for a while, i'm just here to try to clear up any questions about my character "Ryan SooHoo."

The upgrades do appear to be cumulative. And yes, the knuckleball on my pitcher was upgraded 10+ times (the strength was also upgraded a couple times as well, and i seriously reloaded so many times that it might have been 15-25 times), i do slap myself for not counting exactly how many times i did it, but getting it to happen alot just depends on how long you're willing to sit there and save and reload for the event to happen, there was no apparent limit to how many times he showed up. Remember that the quality of the pitch depends on your guys mood, when you're testing it.

The dad practice event seemed come at random, and have a chance to happen whenever other random events could happen (there seemed to be a time of the month where events were more likely to happen, or certain times where I just gave up on, like the day before a game).

Also, the events where you need to keep your dad happy have a chance of happening instead of the event. The only thing i noticed that came out of these events was that if you didn't keep him happy, he would stop showing up. I am not positive, but i believe that you can just save/load when these happen and hope that the practice event comes up instead.

Again, all of this is not fresh off my mind, i played the game ALOT when it first came out, but stopped after beating the success mode to death. The 2008 version has sparked my interest again though :P

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:01 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
hey, rsoohoo, when you say you've beaten Success Mode to death, would you mind posting the passwords of the players you've made?

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Well , the custom pitch pitcher was actually the last one I did before getting burned out, now that i see some of the more developed pitchers (like the one with All max stats, hitting abilities, intimidator), i understand that some people beat it death even more then me :)

The amount of saving and loading for getting the custom pitch pitcher was it. Basically just saving and loading every week in hopes of getting the dad event as much as possible.

I am very curious how the guy who got the insane stats (Arteaga by Mrsims31), got stats that high, will managing to marry Becky, since i thought this was previously out of reach.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:58 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I believe Arteaga is one of the few Genius level players that have been created and shown here on the forums.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Yeah, he was a "Genius" so he started off with good sense, and much better stats than your guy did. He also received multiple successful treatments from Dr. Goodjob to improve his stats. It took him a while to create him, as he had to reload for just about every event.

The other Geniuses in the forum include his hitter - Gaia - MrWelz's catcher, starter, and hitting reliever, and a The-F's rendition of Robinson Cano. There are others for the PS2, though.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I just double checked, i have a genius character with HORRIBLE stats: 151 ctrl (C), 87 stam (C), 102mph, about 6 blue abilities, and 3 different pitches none of which are custom or maxed. He's a Closing pitcher.

I'm not sure what his starting stats were, but i'm guessing they were gd sense and with what everybody else describes these characters to be (no negatives, and above average stats). This was one of my characters when i first got the game, and had no idea what i was doing. He's kind of pointless now, but maybe this shows that your character will show up as a genius regardless of what his ending stats are. Can provide PW's or just screens if somebody really wants to see them.

edit: Dr goodjob must help, alot. I was never really able to figure out much about him, just that the events were very uncommon.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:09 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Welcome aboard rsoohoo! Glad to have you; I believe your guide is partly responsible for a lot of what you see around here, so thanks!

Yeah, Goodjob is a must for maxed-out players. Every successful visit adds a ton to your player (when using a challenge card). Check the Dr. GJ thread and the wiki for the exact details.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Does anyone know if your Dad will come back more than once for fielding training? Before the WG game in year 2 I finally got him to show up and ask if I wanted to train only to challenge and whiff at his pitch. I S/L a number of times and the same thing happened every time until I was sick of it and just saved. I guess I'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:17 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
So exactly how many times did a visit from goodjob help you? Iv been trying to get both a visit and a good pitch but i want him to come more then once so i can focus on other things

2nd= Rsoohoo- knuckleball
3rd= Sifu- Sinker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:37 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
If you want good results from the Dad and Good Job arc, be prepared to save and reload. All told you can very easily spend a day or two on this to get the results you want. It is long and tedious but it is worth it in the end if you want a stud player.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next