Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Honolulu Gunmen - A Fight to the Finish
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Baseballteen9500 wrote:
I'm still plenty devoted to thid

Glad you're enjoying!

AgentP wrote:
Holy shit

Holy... shit.

Oh yes.

Powerprosfan31 wrote:
detroittigers15 wrote:
"No."

oh dear

Oh dear indeed.

Kungfupandacam wrote:
boo, i hate this mathew guy. #rootforpreston

Go Dolphins!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

November 17th, 2001
9:12 AM
Phoenix, AZ

I was still in bed when the phone rang. I rolled over, sat up, and cleared my throat before picking up.

“Hello?”
“Matthew! It’s Rodrick. I’m calling to tell you we’ve reached a decision as to the new GM.”

My heart raced. Based on his phrasing, I braced myself for disappointment.
“And, uh, what decision is that?”
I felt as though I could hear Reilly’s grin through the phone. “Congratulations, Matthew. You’re the new General Manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks.”

My entire body began to float. This couldn’t be happening. Something that had been only a dream a year ago was suddenly becoming reality.

“Is someone on the phone?”

Melissa had walked back into the bedroom from her shower. I realized that I hadn’t said anything for a good ten seconds, and in fact was holding the phone in my lap. I snapped back into reality and jerked the phone back to my ear.

“-you there, Matthew?”
“Yes! I’m here!” I shouted. “Sorry about that.”
Reilly laughed. “No worries. I imagine you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed. In a good way, of course.”
“You could say that.”
“Well that’s all I have for you at the moment. The announcement won’t be until Monday, so I’d ask you to keep it under wraps until then.”
“Of course!”
“There will be a press conference in the evening. I’ll go over everything with you at the office on Monday. For now, enjoy your weekend.” I had no way of knowing, but I was sure Reilly had just winked.
“Thank you, sir!”

I hung up the phone, smiling like an idiot. Melissa looked at me, hope in her eyes.

“Was that who I think it was?” she asked. I stood up and embraced her in a deep kiss, pure happiness coursing through my veins.

November 19th, 2001
9:16 AM
Phoenix, AZ

“Attention, everyone!” Rodrick Reilly stood at the head of the room, addressing everyone who had gathered. I stood at his right side, John Ohner on his left. “I have an announcement to make. As you know, the unfortunate departure of our dear General Manager has left a vacancy. Now Tom Gates was a great General Manager and an even better man who cannot be replaced, but we have someone who we believe will fill in more than admirably. Gentlemen, your new General Manager, Matthew Weaver.” Reilly gestured to me, and everyone stared. A handful of people clapped, but the scattered noise only served to highlight the room’s tense atmosphere. Dave Briggs glared at me, and Owen Vickers stood stone-faced with his arms crossed. I looked around and saw Preston, whose eyes were downcast. When he looked up and met my eyeline, he forced a smile.

“Um,” I started. “Thank you, Mr. Reilly. I just want to say I am looking forward to working together with all of you to create a strong winning tradition here in Phoenix.” My prepared statement felt awkward coming out of my mouth and did nothing to ease the tension. Reilly stepped in.
“There will be a formal announcement to the press this evening. As for now, let’s get to work on preparing for a successful offseason!”

The crowd dispersed, and I made my way to Preston.

“Hey!” he said, feigning excitement. “Congratulations!”
“Thanks, Preston. And hey, I know you’re disappointed…”
“No, I-” Preston began to protest. “Well, yeah, I am. But I am happy for you. And we’ll still be working together. It’s just not my time yet, is all.”
I smiled at him. “You’ll be a GM someday. But for now, you’re my right-hand man. I wouldn’t want anyone else for the job.”
Preston returned my smile. “Thanks, Matty. That’s good to hear. I think I’m going to talk to Mr. Reilly about my interview, though. I think I know where I messed up, and I want to hear his feedback.”

The sudden recollection of what I’d said in my interview flooded my head, but I kept a calm exterior as best I could.

“I’m sure you didn’t do anything wrong in your interview,” I said, trying to sound supportive.
“Nah, it’s okay, Matty. I got tripped up on a few questions. I’m sure Mr. Reilly won’t mind my asking. I’ll just go to his office.”

My mouth went dry. Before I could think of another way to protest, Preston was walking off. I watched as he knocked on Reilly’s door, and Reilly motioned for him to enter.

Through the large glass windows of Reilly’s office, I could see the entire conversation take place. It was all smiles at first as I saw Preston ask about his interview. Reilly spoke for a while, and then Preston again. It was then that Reilly seemed to become more serious. He spoke at length for a while, and the longer he did, the sullener Preston’s expression became. My heart sank, and all I could think of to do was to find a place to hide. I retreated to my office and tried to look busy on my computer. After what felt like five minutes but was probably actually about thirty seconds, I took a cautionary peek outside.

Preston was staring at me from outside Reilly’s office, his face that of a betrayed friend.

That was the last time I saw him for 13 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
oh boy, can't wait to see Matty and Preston keep that friendship strong!

:eyes:

also JP, I just wanna let you know that every time I click on this site and I see this thread in the "new posts" list, I scream a little bit on the inside. (sometimes on the outside too)

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

AgentP wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
oh boy, can't wait to see Matty and Preston keep that friendship strong!

:eyes:

also JP, I just wanna let you know that every time I click on this site and I see this thread in the "new posts" list, I scream a little bit on the inside. (sometimes on the outside too)

Thanks a ton (: it warms my heart to know that others are enjoying what I write.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:22 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
You done messed up Matty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Athletics
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Preston is betrayed sad face

.247 is better than .000 if I'm being honest.-BBMan9500

I will always love this place

When there is actually activity again I'll be there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:49 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
well goddam

that was heartwrenching

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:56 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

October 2nd, 2015
12:09 PM
Honolulu, HI

"I... I don't know what to say."

Claire's voice, ridden with shock, cut into my soul much like the guilt that I'd carried with me for the last decade and a half. I closed my eyes and lowered my chin to my chest, using my right hand to hide my face. After a moment of silence, I was embraced. Claire's arms enveloped me, her chin resting on the crown of my head. Strands of blonde hair gently curtained the sides of my face, and the familiar scent of strawberries wafted into my nose. The sinking in my chest turned to a fluttering; a feeling I'd experienced once before. Claire spoke gently.

"You need to forgive yourself."

My eyes watered at the gesture. I became suddenly aware of how long it had been since I'd received affection and reassurance. Years of pent up anxiety and stress threatened to explode out of me, but I swallowed them. I placed my hand on the sleeve of her jacket, my fingers wrapping around her slender arm.

"We've all made mistakes, Matt. It was fifteen years ago. All you can do now is apologize."

Claire's embrace ended, and I opened my eyes.

"Thanks for listening to me ramble," I said, feeling stupid at the display of emotion. Claire smiled.
"You're a good guy," she said. "I know that."
"That remains to be seen. I'll try to find the time to talk to Preston soon. I can't make things right, but... maybe I can make them less wrong."

I stood.

"But first things first," I declared. Claire raised an eyebrow.

"Let's win a ballgame."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:40 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

October 2nd, 2015
2:05 PM
Honolulu, HI

"Hyeaaah!"

Johnny Rivera's first pitch -- a fastball -- smacked into Matt McCarthy's glove with a satisfying pop, and game one was underway.

Rivera was in control from the outset, retiring the Dolphins' top three hitters on just eight pitches. Unfortunately for us, Koby Caplin was equally as hot, and the game went without a baserunner for the first two innings.

With two outs in the top of the third, Bobby Canfield squeezed a ground ball between short and third. Terry Delaney then sent a ball right back up the middle, putting runners at first and second with two outs. Rivera fell behind Chico Romez, and with a 2-1, count, Romez delivered the first run of the game with a slicing line drive to right.

That lone run held up through five innings, with Caplin only surrendering three hits, and in the top of the sixth, Sylvester Coddmeyer III did what he does best, delivering a towering solo shot that extended the Dolphins' lead to 2-0.

After six scoreless innings, Caplin -- pitching on just three days' rest -- was forced out of the game. Perhaps in an effort to preserve some arms, Johnathan Grey went to struggling long man Hong-Chih Kuo. Patrick Warr took advantage, taking Kuo's first pitch right back up the middle for a leadoff single, bringing up Donnie Wilde in the form of the tying run. With the count at 1-2, Donnie too a big hack, turning on a pitch and sending a hooking fly ball down the left field line. The crowd erupted, and the entire dugout leaned over the railing to see if the ball would stay fair. Donnie stood near home plate, waiting. The ball crossed behind the foul pull for a game tying home run.

The moment of Donnie's home run was surreal. I had never experienced the atmosphere of playoff baseball from on the field. The buzz of the stadium was absolutely electrifying, and Donnie was running on air, having just hit the biggest home run of his young career. The baby-faced 24-year old rounded the bases, pumping his fist with a massive grin. The entire team slapped his helmet and back as he returned to the dugout, celebrating the moment together.

Little did we all know that was only the beginning.

Almost without any of us noticing, Grey swapped out Kuo for Art Colt. Even through the mound visit and pitching change, the sellout crowd at Rainbow Beach Stadium stayed on its feet, brimming with anticipation. As soon as Colt was ready, Steve Bernard stepped in and lined the first pitch to left field for a single. That brought up Colin Raines, our weakest hitter by far. Bobby Canfield played in on the grass at third base, expecting a bunt, but I gave no such signal. Raines worked the count. Strike. Ball. Ball. Strike. Ball. He made Colt work hard, and on the sixth pitch of the at-bat, he pulled a sharp ground ball to third. It went under the glove of Canfield and rolled all the way to the wall. Bernard hustled around to third, and Raines pulled into a second with an easy double. He gave a champagne-goggles celebration to the dugout, and the screams of the fans permeated the Hawaiian atmosphere.

With Art Colt still in the game, Jose Medrano stepped to the plate. The first pitch was over the knees for a strike, but the second missed high. The third pitch never had a chance. As soon as he made contact, everyone in the yard knew it was gone. The crowd's energy rose to a fever pitch as Medrano ball sailed high over the left-center field fence, and Medrano raised his right hand to the heavens as he rounded the bases: 5-2 Gunmen.

Following Medrano's homer, Danny Millwood flew out, and Juan Hernandez singled. McCarthy then got in on the action, sending a no-doubter to straightaway center to extend the lead to 7-2.

From that point forward, there was little doubt. Adam Wilson, Mike Colyer, and Rick Allen pitched shutout innings in relief en route to a relatively painless 7-2 victory.

Final Score:
Sacramento Dolphins - 2
Honolulu Gunmen - 7

Box Score
Win: Adam Wilson
Save:
Loss: Art Colt
HR: Sylvester Coddmeyer III, Donnie Wilde, Jose Medrano, Matt McCarthy

J. Medrano - 1-5, HR, 3 RBI, R,
D. Millwood - 0-4, K
J. Hernandez - 1-4, R, 2 K
M. McCarthy - 1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R, 3 K
D. Wayne - 1-4, K
P. Warr - 1-4, R, K
D. Wilde - 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, R, K
S. Bernard - 2-3, R, BB, SB
C. Raines - 3-4, 2B, R

J. Rivera - 6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 K
A. Wilson - IP, 2 H, 0 ER
M. Colyer - IP, H, 0 ER
R. Allen - IP, 0 H, 0 ER

Playoff Race

AL West Standings
1. Honolulu Gunmen - 93-70*
2. Sacramento Dolphins - 92-71

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
!!!!!!

McCarthy king of insurance runs

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:21 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
yoooo, good stuff as usual big JP c:

glad to finally see what happened between Miles an-- uhh Matty and Preston

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:26 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

October 2nd, 2015
6:11 PM
Honolulu, HI

Evan Lorrier stood atop a chair and raised a bottle. "And a big round of applause for our fearless leader, Matthew Weaver!"

I couldn't help but smile as the champagne-drenched clubhouse erupted at Evan's words. I was happy, certainly, but the grin quickly faded. I couldn't get myself to enjoy the moment, and so I quietly slipped out as a new cart of booze was brought in.

I made my way through Rainbow Beach Stadium and up to the executive suite level. On the way, I ran into Tim Porter.

"If you're looking for Greene," he informed me, "you just missed him."

I quickly thanked him and ran back to the elevator, mashing the button several times in a futile attempt to hasten its arrival. After a few seconds, I resolved to head for the stairs, racing down the twelve flights as fast as I could manage. By the time I got down, I was sweating and out of breath, but I didn't slow as I turned for the players and staff lot.

I got out there and scanned the area for Preston's car before realizing he obviously was using a rental. The lot was still pretty full, obviously, as the entire Gunmen roster and staff was still at the stadium. Damn it! I thought. I knew I should've gone straight to him. I felt the opportunity slipping from my grasp.

"Do you need something, Weaver?"
"Preston!"

He was uncharacteristically dressed down, his plain white dress shirt partially untucked and a plaid blue tie draped around his unfastened collar, his navy suit coat in hand. Still, compared to me, a grown non-athlete in baseball pants, he looked sharp.

"Congratulations on the win," Preston said callously. "I'm off to the airport. Something's come up, and I need to head back to California." He turned and began to walk away.

"Wait!" I shouted. He looked back at me, scowling.

"Preston, I... I need to talk to you."

He raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

I looked at the ground, realizing I hadn't planned at all what I was going to say. "I need to apologize. I know it's bullshit that it's taken me this long to do it, but... I just need to do it." I paused, waiting for a reaction.

"So do it," he instructed.
"Huh?"
"Apologize."
"Oh, I... I'm sorry. There's not a day that goes by that I don't regret what I did, that I ruined our friendship. And there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss our friendship. You were my best friend. I miss you, and... I'm sorry. I always have and I always will be sorry."

Preston said nothing; he just stared me in the eye.

"Goodbye, Matt."

I stood, too stunned to react, as Preston walked away.

"H-hey, wait!" He turned. "That's it?"

Preston's voice rose slightly. "Life isn't a movie. Did you really expect that to fix everything? Is that the end of this story arc? You apologize, and we kiss and make up and become best friends again? It's been fifteen years, Matt. Everything is different now. People change. At least, I have. Maybe you haven't."

I could hardly form a thought, let alone a coherent sentence, I just stood with my mouth agape as Preston took another step towards his car. I followed.

"I-I didn't-"
"Maybe this apology was what you needed to feel better about yourself, but it isn't what I need. I don't need anything from you." Preston declared, his voice filled with contempt. "Just leave me alone."

I racked my brain for anything I could say to defuse the situation. "Preston," he looked at me, right hand on the door to his rental. "I... you did a really great job with this team. You guys had a great season. I'm proud of you."

Preston's face contorted with rage as he processed my words.

"*(censored)* off."

I couldn't muster another word as the car door slammed. Preston abruptly pulled out of his parking spot and hastily made his way for the exit. I stood helplessly as his car disappeared into traffic, a lump in my throat swelling. I sat down on the curb, my gaze fixating on a crack in the pavement. I don't know how long I sat there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:05 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
:O

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

October 2nd, 2015
Time Unknown
Honolulu, HI

"Matty?"

Claire's normally light and playful voice took an a concerned tone as she approached me from behind. Her words snapped me back into reality and I jumped to my feet, doing what I could to shield my emotional state from her gaze.

"Oh, hey, Claire. You haven't headed home yet? What time is it?" I asked, trying my hardest to sound normal.
"I've been looking for you. You kind of disappeared back there."
"Huh? Oh, yeah." I forced a laugh. "I just came out to get some air."

Claire's brow furrowed in a look of worry as she frowned slightly.

I looked up at the sky. "Nice weather isn't it? Not too hot..." I continued. After another moment of silence, I returned my eyes to Claire's.

"You talked to him, didn't you?"

My pulse quickened at the question. As always, she saw right through me.

"What happened?"

I gathered my thoughts.

"It... didn't go well."

Claire nodded, communicating her understanding with the simplest of gestures. She didn't say a word. Instead, she reached out and took my hand in hers. My stomach twisted as her slender, dainty fingers intertwined with mine, embracing my clumsy, awkward hand with their warmth. My face ran hot as she looked up into my eyes, and I screamed internally for the courage to tell say something, to tell her that this was not just okay but amazing, to tell her that it was suddenly obvious that I had these feelings I'd been ignoring or casting aside or flat-out denying for weeks. My heart and my brain and my stomach and every ounce of my soul waged war, competing for the right to send or not send a message of some kind to this woman who was looking more and more like an angel I thought had long passed me by. Seconds ticked like hours, but the battle was interrupted before a victor could be crowned.

"Let's walk," she insisted.

So we walked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

October 2nd, 2015
Time Unknown
Honolulu, HI

The Hawaiian sun had finished setting over the horizon, and night was beginning to envelop the city. I sat atop a grassy hill overlooking the Honolulu Harbor, the Aloha Tower a glowing beacon in the darkness. Boats lined the coast, ranging from small sailboats to massive yachts. Claire sat right of me, knees pulled to her chest, the warm island air tumbling gently through her hair. I looked at her and, seeing her eyes focused straight ahead, followed suit.

"Isn't the ocean incredible?"

I looked at Claire upon hearing her voice, but her gaze stayed fixed on the water. Before I could formulate a response, she continued.

"It's so beautiful... and so big. Did you know that there's a perspective in space from which you can literally only see the Pacific?" she turned to me now. "It's just so vast. And the movement of the water, the gentle purr of the waves... it's enchanting. And the cool, wet air at night on the beach..." she trailed off, her eyes glimmering. "I could just sit and stare for hours."

The last remnants of sunlight had all but disappeared from the night sky, and Claire's face was illuminated only by the harbor lights in the distance. She glowed a soft orange.

"That's... really nice."

Claire's attention finally shifted away from the Pacific. She smirked at me. "Yeah," she replied patronizingly, "it's nice."

I let out a short, nervous laugh. "Ahah, I'm not really good with words, but... I liked yours."

She smiled. "It's okay," she assured me. "And thank you."

As she finished her sentence, we heard an explosion in the distance. I jumped.

"Oh, it's Friday!" Claire exclaimed.

She was right. Friday night meant fireworks over the Honolulu Harbor. A green shower of lights was fading in the distance just as a blue one took its place. The fireworks grew in length and intensity, and I felt something on my upper arm. I glanced down and saw Claire resting her head against me as her face flashed all the colors of the rainbow. She had inched closer to me as well, and her legs were now bent along the ground so that her left knee grazed my thigh. My heart leaped into my throat, and I became privy to the sweat pouring out of my underarms. I felt a stinging behind my eyes, so I closed them and grit my teeth.

"This night is perfect," Claire said simply.

I opened my eyes and fumbled for something to say. After a few tense seconds, I finally spoke.

"Like the ocean?"

Claire laughed a beautiful laugh and replied seamlessly.

"Like the ocean."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next