Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friendship/Techniques?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

In last year's edition this was completely broken. You could very rarely actually make 2 players become friends and forget them ever exchanging techniques. Anybody know if this is fixed in 2008?

Post subject: Re: Friendship/Techniques?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Aabra wrote:
In last year's edition this was completely broken. You could very rarely actually make 2 players become friends and forget them ever exchanging techniques. Anybody know if this is fixed in 2008?

Not sure if they could exchange techniques though.. but I've just become best friends with P. Martinez (with an evil intention to get Intimidator), but he played badly during the season and his intimidator dissapeared!

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has it's own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of the mystery everyday. Never lose a holy curiousity
-Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Finally tried this and it definitely does work in 2008. Players have to be grouped together for about a year (a little less I believe) before they become close friends (red friendship level). I also bought the lvl 3 technique book to boost my chances.

You can then place your player in technique practice to learn the technique you want. The player he is learning it from should be in technique practice as well, but he doesn't have to be studying the same technique to be able to pass it on to the other player. You should then group the players together again. You want the guy learning the new technique to be on the bottom and the guy he's learning it from to be on top as the "Veteran Leader."

You can see the exp in the technique grow from day to day, and when it fills up the meter, the player will have a chance to acquire the technique, just like a pitcher learning a new pitch in Spring Training. It seems like the better techniques have lower success rates, but if you save on the day before he maxes out the meter, you can save/load to get it eventually.

I've found that it is best to have two players become friends who each have techniques you want the other one to learn, that way they can each practice their chosen technique at the same time so you don't waste valuable practice time. The "Veteran Leader" will learn his technique a bit slower than the guy he's teaching, since no one is teaching him. But once his student has learned the ability, you can just switch them around so the other one is the "Veteran Leader." It doesn't seem to matter how old or how much MLB experience the players have relative to each other, anyone can be the "Veteran Leader" for anyone else.

One thing though, certain techniques might have conditions that need to be met before the player can learn them. I say this because I was trying to teach Cannon Arm to a player who had only a C in Arm Strength and after about 45 minutes of save/load I gave up on him. You may need to have a B or above in a related ability to be able to gain the technique (like CON for Contact Hitter, or PWR for Power Hitter), but I am not positive. The players I was testing this out with had mostly all Bs and As in their abilities since I had been training them for several seasons before attempting the technique practice.

But the feature definitely works this time. With red friendship levels, a Platnium Ring, and the lvl 3 technique book, I was able to fill up the exp meter for a technique in about a week, so you can potentially gain many abilities in one season. I haven't attempted to have a player learn a technique by himself, but I would imagine it takes longer to fill the meter and the success rate is much lower.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Don't Own
It works just the same in MLBPP 07. The red friendship level was attained after a season and a half of working together. And you could also save and reload when the meter was almost maxed out to make sure the player learned the skill.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Reds
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I concur that I never saw players become friends in 07, but I have achieved it in 08.
however despite the level of friendship, it hasn't much benefited Ryan Braun's defensive attributes. maybe just his quality of life?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:19 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
I have had 2 guys become friends in 07.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman