Post subject: How do you avoid debt???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:35 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
For the past few Season mode teams that I've done, almost all of them result with me in debt. Could you guys tell me some tips on avoiding debt. Thanks.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

Post subject: Re: How do you avoid debt???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
first of all, if you're going to trade, don't go overboard with adding points. Receive points if you can.
also, keep track of players who might win awards, as that could give you thousands of needed points.
Finally, WIN PLAYOFF GAMES! You get so many points from this, it's not even funny.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:40 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
I do all of that (hey, I got Halladay and C.C. just from trading...and adding tons of points (like about 6000 and remained enough of a good-star trade) and that helped my situation a bit) But it's like I keep losing thousands of points a game.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:20 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Make sure your total salary is less than 100000. If it is, it will be very, very hard to make a profit. All of my teams have a salary of 50000 or less.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

mine usually have around 70k-80k.
anyways, when I trade, I always look to gain salary space.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:35 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '08: Don't Own
Try to avoid salaries of 5000+. As an example, consider the MLBPP 2007 Blue Jays: They got Frank Thomas, at a salary of 9000, and Glaus, with a salary of 11500. You can trade both for José Bautista, one who will get the job done, and he's got a salary of 390. Look for good, unexpensive pitching (Cole Hamels is a good choice) and above all try to get at least 500 points per game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:03 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Pirates
Console '08: Wii and DS
Um, I hope you mean 50000, because my 2B has a salary of 15000. :mrgreen:

When I make Success players, I like the kinds of players with a blazing 4SFB and little CTRL, because it makes him very cheap. For example, Jacob Arteaga, my Gyroballer, has a salary of about 590. He's a good player, and he's very cheap. Look out for people like him on the FA market.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:17 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS! I know it's been said before, but it really helps.

Mike
He's a real player that DrMario made for me.

This is my friend's forum from school.
http://jplaz.com/ I'm catcher51 there, too.

R.I.P. Harry Kalas 1936-2009 "It's outta here!"
R.I.P Jim Johnson 1941-2009 Blitz (need i say more?)

"I'm a dishonest man, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you have to watch out for. Because you never know when they're going to do something stupid."
Jack Sparrow
. Pirates of the Caribbean and the Curse of the Black Pearl.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:04 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: White Sox
Like others said that winning playoff games work.
Another idea is to go after the players with a lower salary instead of the big name player.

Most strikeouts in a single 9 inning game-22
Perfect games pitched-4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:43 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Sony PS2
rockbard wrote:
Try to avoid salaries of 5000+. As an example, consider the MLBPP 2007 Blue Jays: They got Frank Thomas, at a salary of 9000, and Glaus, with a salary of 11500. You can trade both for José Bautista, one who will get the job done, and he's got a salary of 390. Look for good, unexpensive pitching (Cole Hamels is a good choice) and above all try to get at least 500 points per game.

A couple of months, I would've agreed with you 100% but now my view point is starting to change a little bit regarding higher priced players. While I agree that a salary of 5000 can be high, I wouldn't exactly call it exhorbitant (compared to the contracts that A-Rod and Santana have).

Some guys, I feel, are worth their money.

For example, Freddy Sanchez. He makes around 6500 and can play 3 infield positions. He's a good contact hitter and fielder with a lot of blue qualities, is able to steal a lot of bases, and can hit the occasional home run too. Someone comparable simply cannot be found for almost any kind of money. Damion Easely, Brendan Harris, and Tomas Perez are all good utility fielders, but they're best suited as defensive replacements or pinch hitters. Freddy is a proto-typical top of the order guy to build a franchise around.

Dan Haren is another guy I'll gladly pay 4000 points for. He's a consistent pitcher with a good variety of pitches and always seems to carry a low ERA. While I would agree that Cole Hamels is a nice player for the price, he simply doesn't compare to Haren in terms of performance. Chien Ming Wang is a nice, affordably priced pitcher too.

Chase Utley is another guy I really like a lot too. You'll be hard-pressed to find another power-hitting 2B as good as him for around 4700 points. The same could be said for David Wright at around 8000. Both players are young, have a lot of positive qualities, and will give you a lot of offensive power for the money. Oddly enough, I've used Utley over a full season and, even though he crushed over 40 homers, he asked for LESS money in arbitration the next season! What a deal!

Anyway, I guess my point is that building a franchise full of sub-1000 point salary guys is easily, but there are certain intangibles (i.e. character qualities) some of those guys will never have. Additionally, if you have a monster season with a low-cost high return player like Justin Verlander or Ryan Howard, you'll be at their mercy during the offseason. (For Verlander, at least, I can testify to seeing a salary request of nearly 20,000 after winning the Cy Young!) Considering you can have at least 4 or 5 players on your team making a total of 20,000 points per season, you'll still have plenty of money leftover to build an extremely competitive team of low priced players--without losing points everyday either!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:30 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

after editing cliff lee, he's definitely worth it!

-David Thorne